Hi, Well mine is the Harder & Steenbeck Infiniti which I am getting very used too. I think it simply takes time, for me especially. I can totally understand how articles are reluctant to mention a formula of pressure, distance and thinning that always works.
Hi, Why thank you for the awesome words of encouragement. This morning I spent some time dry sanding with 4000 grit as I noticed hard pebble spots here and there. It's pretty darn smooth for decals and final semi gloss coat. Although I did notice one of my fenders showing a seem so a quick super glue filler, sanding and paint was in order. Tonight I'll Future that portion and by tomorrow it should be ready for decaling etc... Thank god for Future and the builder who introduced its use to us. It saved my model.
Hi, Ah yes very good point. I've Futured it rather. Interesting that oil is used to give a high gloss as to me, the really shiny models seem out of scale, unrealistic. Although I've read that judges prefer shiny which is odd seeing that most advanced builders strive for realism. My building is not at that level of being real looking as I'm simply happy to finish.
Hi, Darn really? Well I'll soon find out. Total bummer. I do plan to flatten Pledge via Tamiya flat base and use it for my top coat, picture a satin finish (1 part flat base to 15 parts Future). I won't use any decal setting solution and only use warm water. PS I just read this on a forum which I think is brilliant; I'm going to point out a specific thing I used to do wrong: You don't soak the decal, you just dip it for a couple of seconds and then set it on a paper towel for long enough that you can slide it off the paper. Soaking it will dissolve all the adhesive and then it won't stick...
Hi, More drama, jezuz! At this point I've stripped it down so many times, what's a few more right! At any rate I was using rivet decals to place on various parts of the body when I found the decal solution sorta eating away at the Tamiya X-7. Boy you all were not kidding about this paint being delicate. All I had was the hot decal solution and not mild BTW. At any rate I rinsed off the decals and found bare spots were red was. I used flat red XF-7 as I ran out of X-7 and blended it in. I then did a Pledge treatment. Wayyyyyy tooooo shiny but I'll tone it down once decals are on. I'm chalking this all up to being a newwwwwwwB! Front looks a bit off but I'll wait and see once it's dried.
Hi and thank you sirs for the encouragement. I'll keep on as I must get to my commemorative build soon, itching to start. The afternoon was progress finally. Tamiya acrylic glosses seem tricky to AB. My orange behaved a lot better but I didn't want to spray my car full on orange.
Hi and many thanks. My spoons turn out wonderful but man is it different for me when it comes to a car body. Even my spray technique changes. I wished the car body were like a spoon for me but its night and day. I'm now using a spoon as an approximation on color, that's pretty much it. Also to see how the paint may behave/perform as well. i was VERY disappointed that my attempts on the car body were soooooo different then a spoon. In fact I almost cried as I am trying so darn hard at this. I used up an entire bottle of X-7 between practicing on spoons and stripping my car body. I ran out on my 2nd final coat when I just about finally got it down.