[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Davoski

  • Rank
    MCM Regular

Previous Fields

  • Are You Human?
  • Scale I Build

Profile Information

  • Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
  • Full Name
    David Thompson
  1. 1955 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

    Thanks for the interest, guys, I really appreciate it but sadly life is still getting in the way. I did play a little with some paint: And did a little more with this one: There is more to come, I promise
  2. Italeri Ford Escort RS1800 Mk2

    Hi AFX, Did you modify the rear wheel flares which sit way too high? And, if so, do you have pics? Thanks
  3. 1955 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

    Thanks, guys. Very little progress at present as life does seem to get in the way. I am hoping to get back into it in the next week or so, so stay tuned.....
  4. 1955 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

    A bit more progress this week: Test fit of the finished print: I do love it when a plan comes together. I wanted a cobblestone effect for the road surface and came up with the idea of pressing a texture into very thin Depron foam sheet. I used the offcut from the new egg-crate bed for my laser cutter and rolled it firmly with a glass jar: I started the paint for the base but I am not happy with the colours. More work required, I think:
  5. 1955 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

    Oops, somehow I can't add any more pics at present, will try later. Meantime the full build progress is here Let me know what you think so far. :-)
  6. 1955 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

    I have always loved the look of early Formula One racing cars and recently came across a Protar kit of the 1955 Mercedes W196 as driven by Fangio at several Grands Prix that year including Monaco: I did some online research looking for inspiration for a diorama of the car on the Monaco street circuit and came up with some great period photos like these: Some time ago I had downloaded the files for a 3D printable gothic building (coincidentally the Sydney General Post Office building) for some future product. It looked perfect for the period: The file is broken into a left and right hand side for each level so I was able to omit the ground floor and print just one of the upper floors and the roof components. I scaled it down from a true 1:25 as it would have been too large. The plan is to sit it on a retaining wall with a steep uphill section of track and maybe some signage and spectators. Printing was successful, and here is an early mockup:
  7. Sealed or open?

    Schrodinger's Cat?
  8. I use CorelDRAW for this. Look online for an early version (say, version 13) for download.
  9. Jaguar Rear End

    Just dragging this thread out to see if anyone has an update on a source of Jag Rear Ends....
  10. how to get figures to fit in cars

    Hi Miles, The reason for the difference may be that the fashion for driving position in rally cars has changed. In the 80's and earlier most drivers drove almost straight armed whereas from the 90's onward the drivers now sit VERY close to the wheel. So yes, you will need to "cut and shut" the arms and legs at Shoulder/elbow and Hip/knee. You probably don't need to cut right through the "joint", just cut a wedge from behind the knee, for example, leaving the kneecap in place. Then heat the kneecap carefully and bend the knee to the right position. You can then fill the remaining gap lightly with your filler of choice and file or sand to finish. For the hips you can also separate the torso at the waist and take a narrow wedge from the front, or even add a wedge from behind below the kidneys. The sanding doesn't need too be to fancy or accurate because it will generally look like folds in fabric anyway. Here are some examples where I have done this: Admittedly, these particular figures were 1/16 so a bit easier but they started standing up straight and I have done 1/24 and 1/35 successfully. See more pics here and here Hope that helps.
  11. 29 Ford Build-Off Project

    Hi guys, This is my entry to the Aussie Custom Modellers latest Facebook Build-off Contest. The theme was '29-'39 Hot Rod but, as usual, I wanted to build something out of left field. As a design concept I love SteamPunk and DieselPunk and this kind of look: And the work of DaxMan on this group: Whilst I am sure the organisers envisaged T-Buckets and Rat Rods, I had to do something different. I hope you like it. Apart from pinching some parts from my parts box, I also went to the local Two Dollar shop and bought some bits and pieces. I also just found some stuff around the house. For example, the round black pieces where the back wheels would be are tops from deodorant cans, and when I pulled them apart I found that the spray nozzle assembly was perfect for the lander feet, no modifications required to either part! I thought about weathering it but it wasn't meant to be a Rat Rod but more of a Show Rod. That said, I might still dirty up the engines a bit. I also meant to build the basics of a Drive In theater that I want for a future project but I didn't get far before the deadline: Work in Progress pics are here Link I hope you like it!
  12. Ummm......I just glued it on The base bracket is roughly a square so you just rotate it 90 degrees. I moved the steering wheel and pedals to RHD but didn't change the dash. Anybody who is picky about that would not be welcome at the Pub anyway
  13. Hi guys, I am sure most of you have built this kit at some point but this is one that I have made to go in a 1950's Aussie Pub diorama. Beryl in the passenger seat is part of a little story that the scene will tell. The rest of the diorama is about 90% finished so should only take me another 5 years or so to complete If you are interested the build sequence for the ute is here. I hope you like it!