Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

sflam123

Members
  • Content Count

    226
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About sflam123

  • Rank
    MCM Friend

Previous Fields

  • Are You Human?
    YES
  • Scale I Build
    1/25, 1/16

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
    kyrangerz520@yahoo.com

Profile Information

  • Location
    Gilbertsville, KY
  • Full Name
    Stephen Flamion

Recent Profile Visitors

4,925 profile views
  1. Great work!! Cool project and it looks fantastic!
  2. That turned out beautiful!! Nice job!!
  3. Great, GREAT job on this!!! It turned out fantastic!!
  4. You have done a GREAT job with this!! Fantastic work!!
  5. Glad I could help you! Did you see the post TODAY of the three turbines together?? The #20, #60 and #70 were brought together. As I understand it from another site, the #70 has been authenticated, but there is some question as to whether the #60, owned by the IMS museum is authentic or not. There is another page on FB that may be of benefit to you as well, called "1960's Indy Cars"
  6. Mr. Tanaka, for your information (and anyone else that may be looking for pictures of older Indy Cars) there is a page on FB (I know, I know, everyone hates FB, but there are some decent resource photos on there) called "Vintage Indy Registry". There are quite a few restored Indianapolis cars from the last 60-70 years in the hands of private owners that actually still race them, in a somewhat controlled situation, and many of these cars are meticulously restored to their original condition. Lots if photos on this page if you scroll down through the page and go through the photos. There was an event in August this year at Gateway/World Wide Technology Raceway that had the restored #60 turbine car in attendance. Not a tremendous help to you now, Mr. Tanaka, but maybe a help to others.
  7. This is looking fantastic!! This is a very "fiddly" kit. I like how the seat and belts turned out!!
  8. You are doing a really good job on this build!! I'm old enough I remember seeing these turbines at Indy during the practice days. The story I've always heard was they repainted Joe's car for the Indy 500 because the officials and race scorers were having difficulty telling his, Graham's and Art Pollard's cars apart during practice so they did something to each for the race to make them look unique.
  9. Probably to the drag racers with only access to the GM parts, they probably would never be able to find the information I learned working for Detroit Diesel Allison/Allison Transmission. Detroit Diesel was separated from GM in the 80's, and a lot of the history before that did not transfer, it remained with Allison Transmission which remained GM. In actuality, there were 4 series of Detroit Diesel engines: the -53, the-71, the -92 and the -149. In each case the -xx designates the cubic inch displacement of the individual cylinder. A 4, 6, 8, 12, or 16 in front of the -xx indicates the number of cylinders of the engine. Basically, a 16-71 blower has a smaller case and rotors than a 16-149. You had to pump a LOT of air into those 149 engines!!
  10. I actually worked at Detroit Diesel Allison (now Allison Transmission and Detroit Diesel) from 1980 until my retirement. My first job was support of the "blower line". The nomenclature for the blowers aligns with the Diesel engines they were used on. A 4-71 Blower was used on a 4 cylinder 71 cubic inches/cylinder Detroit Diesel engine. A 6-71 was a 6 cylinder with the same cubic inches/cylinder and so on. While the 8-71 engine was available in the late 60's, the blowers were not available outside of the dealer network until the mid 70's. BTW...one of the blowers I supported was a 16-149. Yep...16 cylinders, 149 ci/cylinder! Cylinder bores were bigger than most men's leg.
  11. That turned out GREAT!! I always loved the graphics and paint job on this car. Well done!! If you don't mind sharing, what color blue did you use for the paint on this car??
  12. I started this Johan Mickey Thompson Titanium Pinto a couple of years ago, but I got sidetracked on another project and never finished it. I finally picked it back up a few months ago and I'm calling it finished. Paint on the body is Testors Candy Apple Red (I believe it is now called Transparent Red) over Testors Diamond Dust Lacquer with Wet Look clear applied after polishing. Decals are from Slixx. On a prior post I requested help because the decals from Slixx were shattering when introduced to water. Thanks to Slixx for after speaking with them and explaining the issue I was having they sent me another set of decals and offered a couple of suggestions which, coupled with the suggestions I got on my post allowed me to complete this model, FINALLY! No, it's not perfect, and it is not highly detailed, but I'm happy with it!
×
×
  • Create New...