His real name is Earl, but we've always called him "Bo" for some reason. He's my first cousin, the son of my father's sister, and he's always had the coolest cars in the whole family, such as a '62 Corvette that ran F/G in NHRA, a '68 442 which held the NHRA national record in D/S for 4 weeks while being his daily driver, and a '70 Monte Carlo that looked bone stock but ran 11.50s in 1972, extremely fast for a street car in those days.
I ran across a picture taken on Christmas day, 1967, at my grandparents house that shows two other cousins in front of Bo's 1967 GTO, which he had bought brand new at Boomershine Pontiac in Atlanta. I was 12 at the time, and Santa had brought me a Polaroid camera, so I was taking the picture.
Bo's car was red with a black interior and a 4 speed transmission. I don't know what he had done to the engine, but I do know it had headers because it had that distinctive header sound when it was running.
When I found this picture, I wanted to build a model of Bo's GTO. The only '67 GTO kit out there is the old MPC kit, which gets a LOT of bad publicity, ESPECIALLY on places like Facebook. I wanted to show that with a little work and careful planning, it can build up fairly decent. Yes, I COULD'VE used the much more detailed Revell '66 GTO as a donor, but my plan was to use as much of the MPC kit as possible just to show it's not as bad as you've heard.
First, here are the main areas of concern that I found during the build:
1) The wheelbase is slightly off, being about 1/8" too short. I don't know why this is, but I corrected mine simply by moving the front wheel mounting locations 1/8" forward.
2) There's remnants of screw bosses on the radiator support, and where these sit against the chassis leaves the front of the car sitting too low. I suspect that originally the front bumper/grill had tabs the went in there and screws held the whole works together, but those tabs got removed somewhere down the line. The fix is to simply add 1/8" spacers to the bottom of those screw bosses.
3) The transmission is a manual, but the console is for an automatic. In the interest of wanting to keep this build within the realm of anybody being able to accomplish this, I did not fix that. To be accurate, you would need to use an automatic transmission (easier) or come up with a 4 speed console and add a clutch pedal (harder).
4) The top of the transmission interferes with the bottom of the interior tub.
I fixed that by grinding the top of the transmission down. That part doesn't show anyway.
The rest of the build was just using basic building skills. Test fit, test fit, then test fit again. Yes, theres some flash, but you should be cleaning up those seam lines anyway. Non kit parts I used were the wheels (2 sets of rear wheels from the Revell '32 Ford kits), the tires (AMT parts pack), a Kris Morgan distributor, and some tubing for heater and radiator hoses. I used some scrap bits of styrene to make a panel to cover those unsightly screw bosses. The kit has no mirrors at all, so I used the mirrors from a '66 Chevelle kit. The paint is Tamiya TS-8 over gray primer, and I used a '67 GTO decal set from Speedway Decals.
No, it's not perfect by a long shot, but I'm happy with how it turned out...plus I had a lot of fun building this one. Maybe some of the issues I listed will help some of y'all. Thanks for looking!