I revised the moldings for the wood-grain today, using a set of half round styrene strip.
I think it came out a lot better. I'll get a better sense of things once the primer dries. I also started on the interior revisions of changing the '66 interior to something that somewhat resembles a '67 interior.
Making that back panel was a little tedious. I normally do what you suggested for this build, looking at the brochure, and Auto Color Library. At this point, I removed the moldings, as I found something that should work better. Years ago, a very good friend of mine (Lyle Willits) did the '67 El Camino conversion in Granada Gold, which came out great. Maybe he can post a picture of it, or else I will. I hope to get the work done on the body this afternoon.
I still have a JoHan to build. I was able to get the proper 68-9 interior tub, and the hood to transform the Drag on Lady kit. I am partial to Red on Red, with the white stripes, and Magmum 500's on Red Lines, or White Letters.
I did a little work on the wagon yesterday and today. I changed the rear end from the 1966 to the 1967 configuration. I also sprayed the first coat of primer.
For some reason, the primer does not want to stick to the resin hood, even though I cleaned it. I put 3 coats of primer/sealer on it, which was Duplicolor. I may strip it, and soak it in some Westley's Bleache White. Sometimes the release used by the caster does not come completely off of the part after cleaning.
I have to look through the paint I have on hand for the exterior and interior colors. I looked at the '67 Chevelle brochure, and I may go with a different color. I am leaning towards a different color that the gold. My only criteria is that it coordinates with the wood-grain panels, and no black for the exterior. I am leaning towards Maroon, or Dark Blue. Just has to be period correct as a Factory Color, or as a re-paint, as just about every '60 car needed at one time or another after about 4 or 5 years. Since I am on the strictest of budgets, I cannot invest any more funds into this project, so I will use what I have to do the model. I have a lot of parts and paint, so I do not have to pirate anything from another kit, or buy any paint except for some clear. Now on to the interior. With any kind of luck, I plan to paint this one by next week. Thanks for the comments.
I found that while the Revell '66 Chevelle Wagon, '66 El Camino, and the '67 SS396 could have been made from the same tooling, they are not. They are similar, but not exact. Everything can be made to work, with a little measuring, cutting filing and filling. When I did my Replica Stock '66 Chevelle Malibu Wagon,
I thought it would be just as simple as swapping the hoods and wheels, and procuring the small block. The wheels worked, but the hoods were off about .020", which required that I add plastic strip to it, and fitting it to the Wagon. Everything else worked into place. In the case of going from the '66 to '67 Wagon, and I would guess the '66 to '67 El Camino too, I looked at the bodies of the two cars. Since the '66 body was the greater part of the conversion, I kept as much of that car as I could. I did a rough cut of the front fenders (inner and outer) off of the' 66 wagon, staying close to the door line, and keeping the cowl and the firewall. The only things I am using from the '67 are the differences between the '66 and '67, namely the fenders front grille, bumper, hood and tail lamps. The rear contour, and the sides of the '67 hood had to be trimmed to fit the '66 Cowl and fender lines. I used the '67 hood as the guide to fenders (inner and outer) and core support to the body at the front doors and cowl. The side contours are different between the two cars are different on the models had to be adjusted between the two cars, with some filling and filing. I re-cut the door and cowl lines until I was satisfied with the fit. I saved the bottom of the '66 front fenders, and grafted it back under the '67 Fenders to retain the chrome rocker panels. I also cut the inner fenders from the '66 chassis so that it will fit with the '67 fender unit. This model is not very simple, but because there is more work than I anticipated, will be more satisfying if it works out. I hope to get the back end done today, so I can put some primer on it before the holiday. I have to cut the mesh from the grille, and replace it with the photoetch grille from the Model Car Garage set. At this time, I have not tackled the interior yet, as that work will be much more involved, and will probably involve some scratchbuilding.