The plastic wheel covers on the 1/1 prototype are thermal formed uniquely to each specific style wheel. I used self adhesive vinyl sheet material for the four wheels on this model. A standard hole punch for paper was used to make the center hub disc from thin styrene sheet. There is a silicone gasket making material in a tube that is very affordable. This was used to make a quick mold of the Hyundai logo badge. Once cured, a tiny bit of casting resin was poured 4 times. Once the casts were cured I sanded them down flat and thin. Then glued them to the styrene discs. A square piece of styrene rod was cut and glued into the wheel to represent the valve stem 'bulge' in the wheel cover. The vinyl sheet was burnished down into the detail with a cotton swab then trimmed around the wheel. Then painted.
Air dry silicone mold material from a tube.
Casting resin poured into mold.
Cast logo sanded down as flat as I can.
Then these were glued to the discs.
These are glued to the wheel hubs and square rod was glued into the rims to represent the valve stem bulge.
Burnishing down the vinyl material into the detail.
The Glass part is one piece and thick. First, I cut out the two front window panes. Modern cars have a black border around the windows to block out the ugly edges of where the panels and glass all come together. First, I painted the third break light with Clear Red then an over coat of Future. Once dry, masking with vinyl tape begins. Black was painted first then that was masked off in certain places to spray gray for the interior color.
I couldn't get the kit supplied decals to fit at the correct angle. I thought I had LH and RH mixed up but neither fit correctly. I guess that is why they are not called out in the I-Sheets. I cut fine wedges of BMF instead and I like how they turned out. The picture is a little close-up but if I look at it on the bench with one eye closed and the other squinted, it looks spot on!
The side view mirror, turn signal lights decals (9 and 10) are not called out in the assembly instruction sheets. However they are in the picture of the finished model in the instruction sheets, if you look closely. The decals are yellow in the center but that's if the turn signal(s) are on. I'll have to try and place a thin strip of BMF over the yellow part to achieve the look of them being off (non-illuminated).
Hi TarheelRick, thanks for checking in and sorry for the delayed reply. It's a really good, well engineered, snap together kit. So far there is no flash and all ejector pin marks and most sprue gate fray are located so they wont be seen after assembly. The only flaw in this kit that I notice is the thick 'glass' part that must be addressed by painting properly. I still wonder why they chose to produce the Azera (Grandeur) and not the Veloster, Tucson, or Genesis Coupe, all Hyundai. And then there is the KIA SOUL, Forte Koup, or Borrego.