I finally got this puppy painted ..... first the weather wouldn't cooperate, then my airbrush started spitting whenever I hit the trigger. I ended up ordering a seal kit from my hobby shop and bought a back up airbrush while I was waiting.
The colors are Pure White over Winter Blue. I sprayed the inside of the cab along with the bed underside Blue first, then I masked off all the inside and underside areas. I pre-foiled the hood nameplate and shot all the exterior body parts White. I let that dry a couple of days, then I masked off all the areas that needed to stay White. I then sprayed all the Blue areas. The hood was taped in place for the last two coats to be sure of a perfect metallic color match.
To expose the foiled nameplate I dipped a toothpick in thinner and gently rubbed the paint off of them working very slowly one letter at a time. I think the results are better then trying to foil nameplates cleanly after paint and way cheaper then photo etched scripts.
The lacquer paint raised the tail gate lettering I had sanded off, so I re-sanded it flat again once the paint dried. The tailgate decal will cover it up no problem.
So far I'm very pleased with how it coming out. My only disappointed is I missed two small sink marks on the roof from the visor pins. Since the roof is white it's hardly noticeable, but I'll be sure to catch it on my next buildup.
In a couple of day I will add the foil trim to the body parts and the clear coat everything with my favorite PPG DCA 468 Clear Lacquer. I'll let that dry about a week and then it will be ready for polishing and final assembly.
A quick update while I'm waiting for a dry day to paint the body, I decided to do some of the interior detailing.
The wood grain insert was painted by hand using a base of dark brown paint and some black dry brushing. Not perfect but close enough for me. There was no need to foil the rear edge of the door trim panel as it's completely hidden by the seat back. I'm going to move on to the dash details if it doesn't clear up soon !
I'm following the suggestion by Chuck Most from his post. He applied the decal over the raised letters and mentioned he would have shave them off next time. This way those who are interested can compare the results between the models. Here's Chuck's photo from his build up.
Yes, If it ever stops raining in Northeast Ohio. It's been too humid to paint. I did manage to sand and re-prime all the body parts last weekend. I also decided to use the tailgate decal so I shaved the "FORD" lettering off of it. I'm hoping for break this weekend but so far the forecast is for more rain ....
Other then painting the wheels and permanently attaching them, the chassis and drive-train are done.
I'm working on getting all the paint work done starting with the interior. The lighter color on the dash and door panels is 71 Ford Code Q Winter Blue Metallic. It will be one of the exterior colors with other being Code C Pure White. The Medium Blue used on the trim parts is from my stock of leftover colors. I still have to paint the sun visors which will also be Medium Blue.
Here's a quick interior mock up, I still have to add the foil trim and paint details .....
I'm going to jump on getting the body panels painted and will finish up the interior while it's drying. Stay tune for more ....
Sorry for the update delay ... I haven't been able to spend much time at the workbench over the last few weeks.
Here's the body parts with the first coat of primer. First impression is that the body parts will need very little clean up if any. I'll know for sure once I sand it all down. For now I masked off the nameplates on the hood and the tailgate until I decide which decals I'll use. I'm leaning toward foiling the hood " FORD" but using using the tailgate decal. I'll have sand the letters off If I do.
The interior parts fit together perfectly and don't need any clean up. These parts will go right into the paint line .....
The chassis is now completed other then painting and installing the wheels and tires. I will drop the engine and trans assembly in next.
Even without any aftermarket detailing the engine looks pretty nice to me. The heat riser and oil vent tube are a nice touch. I don't recall seeing any stock 70's Ford Trucks with Chrome valve covers but I left them as is so you can see how it build ups from the box. A Ford purist would probably strip the chrome off and paint them Ford engine blue.
Speaking of the oil vent tube, boy is it tiny. I painted it while still on the tree and thought for sure I would either loose it or break it before I could attach it to the breather cap. Luck must have been with me for a change.
Next step is to finish prepping the body for it's two-tone pant job. I'm already working on painting the interior parts. Hopefully I'll have another update soon......