Made a wheel that matches the reference shot a little better than the kit wheel. I started with a wheel from another 70's AMT kit.
I tried to make a wheel center cut on a Cricut scrapbook machine, but that didn't work out. So I decided to use some printing plate aluminum my buddy Brad gave me just last weekend. Inspired by how my friend Randy D. uses his files to make parts to perfection, I thought I would give it a try on this. Not perfection, but as good as I could have hoped for.
Randy, several years ago one of my local model club members reverse engineered some Gunze thinner and made some big batches of it. I used that to thin Tamiya clear blue acrylic about 1:1 and sprayed it very lightly, misting actually. Lacquer thinner may work well also. Thinning it helps get a flatter finish. On plastic parts, I sprayed it over Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer. On the wingnuts, I just polished the white metal and sprayed right over it. The side panels are some printing plate tin from Brad that I polished up then sprayed over as well.
I finally got some paint on this beauty. I elected to forgo the red stripe decals and paint it instead. After some talks with Jimmy "RASS", I picked up some One-Shot sign painters enamel. I used the Donn Yost method I usually use with my Testors enamels and mixed it 2:1 with lacquer thinner. I have to say, the stuff worked great. I laid it in real thin so as to not bleed under the tape, but I'm real interested to see how it would do on a full body. It seems like it would really produce a nice finish without a clear coat. My base coat is a little grainy, so that's how it looks in the pictures, but once I get clear on it, it's going to really pop.
Here's a shot of the blue anodized parts for the car.