Well you guys have me convinced, I won't post another build here. Between having my last build thread actually locked, because I was accused of it being a die cast and having to post pics to prove myself, and basically being told here that my builds really are not worth posting here because they're all wrong by being clear coated, really doesn't do much for the support and enjoyment of the hobby to me here any more.
I will add myself to the list of those that clear over the decals.
I'm with MonoPed and Scuderia on the clear adding durability to your decals. I've got cars over 20 years old that I've reccently polished again, without any incidents regarding decals, and they look good with the rest of the cars in the case.
The decals they use on the real cars are 3mm thick on average, kinda hard to replicate in scale. My other opinion is, if you want ultra realism by having the decals not cleared, you have to cut out every letter, number and logo, because there is no clear film around any of the graphics on the real cars.
Of course, there isn't a single contest judge here in the midwest that will pick a car over another because the decals aren't cleared.
Do not consider my opinion a slam on anybody's opinion by any means! I have my opinion that I'm happy with, and won't judge others on a different choice. Shoot, this question is almost as debated as "What is correct for Petty blue!
Revell 06/07 kit, JWTBM decals with a couple Powerslide pieces. The only non kit pieces are in the original description and some modification of the front engine compartment bars, otherwise it's out of the box, or modified kit pieces, no resin either.
Harry, just had to get home from work today to post the pics.
Thanks guys! Steven, he does make some shows in Ok or Neb, but mostly sticks to tracks here in Kansas. If you want to build something like this, stay tuned at Dirt modeler, a less intimidating way to build one is in the works.
Got my interior built, and deck support braces mocked up. The front brace is mocked up complete, the rear needs tabs and supports.
I had to do some real thinking about how to make the interior one piece, and yet removable for painting purposes. I decided to cut the bar into pieces running through the interior, and drill the rods out, and install pins. The interior is removable, and yet it reassembles easy and yet is still strong.
The plans are pretty decent. I made an error in printing out the plans at first, (you need to set the printer to copy at 100% and not the default setting of print to page) but on the flip side, some thinking and trial and error are still necessary. His plans and parts are for a 2007, and the car I'm using is a 2010 so some variation from the plans has been necessary.