I would love any new tool AMC but I think the Javelin would be the best choice as there are more ways to go with it over the AMX or any other AMC model. As Dave Van mentioned, to maximize the tooling you could get the 68-70 out of one tool by doing the different front grills, taillights and bumpers, and also incorporate separate door panels and seats on the interior to do the different styles from all 3 years. Include a detailed chassis and you would be able to use that for 68 through 74 (though there might be some issues having to tool the 67-68 trunion front suspension AND the 70 - 74 "coil over A arm" design). Shorten that chassis up and stick it up underneath those Johan AMX's and Hornet promos. Bring out stock, Mark Donohue and Trans Am versions to get even more mileage out of the tool. And back in the July 2002 issue of Model Cars, I had an article published on how to convert a Hornet promo to an SC/360. This is even easier now with the Missing Link resin. Note that the picture below is my converted promo and not the Missing Link resin kit.
The 70 Javelin had a totally different dash than the 68/69 (though same as the 70 AMX). Also, the 70 had high back bucket seats, whereas the 69 had seats with separate headrests. Each year had its own unique door panel, but they were shared same year between the AMX and Javelin. Hope this helps.
Please tell me that they are NOT going to cast the stock AMT Gremlin seats! Those things are hideously too narrow. Unfortunately, I don't know of a better seat short of cutting a set out of a Johan AMX interior. Or taking 3(?) of the stock Gremlin seats and making one good seat.
Hi Len. Thanks for the compliment. I believe that the strips are .020 x .030 Evergreen. I have so much of this stuff, it's hard to keep track of all the sizes! I just go with what looks good. Hope this helps! Karl
I'm certainly no expert and feel that I just got lucky with the vinyl roof on my Cuda. I used Evergreen strip to create the seams and surrounds. For the seams, I glued down the strips and then blended the inside of each strip with putty. This leaves the outside edge a little "raw" and makes it look like the side that was folded over. I then shot Krylon Semi Gloss Black from a long distance (about the length of my arm) to get the pattern I was looking for. I can't remember if that was all I did or if I also did a few arm length blasts of Testor's Semi Gloss Clear. I was very happy with the results.