Time for a small update!!! The console is almost finish, I made the holes for the refreshments and added an additional piece of styrene to make it look also like an arm rest. I just need to fix some minor details and it will be ready for primer.
I added some extra styrene to the under body to cover the exposed tail under the rumble seat and make it look more realistic. Below you can see the difference on the before and after pics.
I am working on the interior panels for the doors and rumble seat so soon I will post more progress. Hope you like it and thanks for looking!!!
Hi Skip!!! Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you like the work so far!!! For the Stance, the look I am looking is closer to what you see in the mock up pics. When the right rims are in it will sit just a little bit higher. For the interiors I am still working on the upholstery panels so hopefully I will post more progress soon.
I was ready to paint the body but we had a rainy weekend so I continued the work on the interiors. I was really disappointed with the molded interior details so I decided to cut off the sides of the interior tub and make some flat panels where I can put some nice details later on.
One of the sides was thicker than the other as you can see below. Also the dashboard was not sitting correctly so with the new panels I can get it to fit correctly on its place.
I was wondering what to do to make some custom details to the interior and I came up with the idea of building a folding console in the middle of the seat, so below you will see a few pics of the process and the almost finished piece.
First Part of the Process:
Almost Finished Piece:
I still have to make some minor adjustments and make the holes for the “refreshments”, but I am really happy with the results.
The tub also needs some sanding and filling but so far the fit is so much better especially for the side windows.
Just a small update to show you the stance I am looking for. The rear axle and the front suspension have been modified. Still some minor adjustments and everything will be ready for primer. I am using these rims just for testing the high of the tires and the center alignment.
Yes, I wil be painting the body with nail polish next weekend. Hahaha!!!! my wife and daughter ask me the same thing the first time they found me digging in their stash of nail colors... Now they always ask if I have spare colors...
I have been very busy at work but finally had some spare time during the long weekend to start painting the engine parts. I wanted to try a different color out of my comfort zone so I went to the $0.99 store to pick up some nice nail lacquer color.
These paints are really good for airbrushing, you can thin them 1:1 put many coats over the parts and they won’t build up and cover the parts details or drip easily. They dry fast, the pearl is just the size to fit the scale, there are many nice colors to choose and the best part is that you can get a 0.5 ounce jar, mix it and make 1 ounce of ready to airbrush paint for just $0.99 cents.
One thing though,I preffer to use Bondo automotive lacquer primer, it has been the best so far for me and I always test new paint products on some spare parts from the kit first to make sure they blend, don't bleed or hurt the plastic. Long time ago I had a disaster with a Tamiya kit and since then I don't take any chances...
The color I picked was “Teal Envy” from “Kleancolor”. You can use any hardware store lacquer thinner to mix it, I used Harris brand to mix it 1:1 and for a top coat I used Harris Acrylic Enamel Clear. The paint scheme for the build will be a two tone Teal/Silver. I used Harris clear cote on the engine because I just wanted to protect the paint finish and bring it to a nice shine. In the past I have used urethane clear for the engines and it looks like a mirror, but for me it is just too much shine. I will use some “Zymol” wax later just to make it crisp a bit more.
Below are some pics in different shades and you will notice that he color changes a bit depending on the amount of light as a result of the fine silver pearls on it.
I am really happy with the results so hope you like it and thanks for looking!!!
Hey I almost forgot!!!
One more thing… keep more than a jar handy just in case your daughter or wife spot it over your workbench…
I really appreciate you like the work I have done so far. It was a long time off the bench so I am working on a slow pace and having a lot of fun.
The top trim of the front windshield was not molded correctly and since I didn’t wanted to cut off everything to scratch build, I decided that the best way to go was to try to carefully carve it out and finish the body work. It took time and was not perfect but after some sanding and scraping I am really happy with the results.
I managed to get some primer on the body today so below are a few pics to keep you updated. To get the custom look I wanted I decided to shave the running boards and remove the molded rubber inserts to paint them on one solid color.
Soon I will post more progress on the suspension, rear axle, engine and interiors.