Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greg Pugh

Members
  • Posts

    2,718
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Greg Pugh

  1. On 12/17/2017 at 6:00 PM, bisc63 said:

    My 2 pennies on the grille treatment; the dual headlights look to take up too much of the opening. I'd be tempted to stick with single headlamps, which would also mimic the rear end styling parts from the 61 Ford. Some versions of the Tom Daniel '60 Impala drag wagon had a tube grille with single lights, I believe, that could be adapted nicely. Maybe someone here can tell me which? (Bad News, Quicksilver, Street Fighter, etc?)

    This is another area that I've spent a tremendous amount of time mulling over. I actually mocked up a single headlight option and the dual headlight option for two different pictures and posted a poll on a Facebook Modeling page and put it to a vote. Lol. I was originally leaning towards the single headlights but the dual headlight version won by a landslide. While I do build for myself, I also take other people's opinions to heart. I figured if the voting leaned so far in the direction of the dual headlights, it must be the way to go. I've since accepted them and like them myself. But rest assured, it's not over until it's on the car! I'm STILL thinking about it. Lol

  2. I'm so limited with time from about April to October that I'm lucky if I log on 4-5 times during that time period. However, I probably get on 3-4 times a week in the winter. I end up missing a lot of posts throughout the year so I really enjoy the year in review posts. It gives me a chance to not only see a bunch of stuff I missed, but it's nice to see what one person can get done in one year. I'm astounded by the talent in this group!

  3. I went back and forth with myself on whether I should put the roof scoop back on the car. I kept working it over, trying it on, thinking about it, working on it some more, repeat. Once I got it whittled down to a size that I thought was more appropriate, I decided that it had to go back on. Admittedly, it was probably what saved this car's life. When I was about to throw it in the garbage, the scoop on the roof was something that I kinda liked about the car so it just seemed appropriate that it went back on. Plus, it was something the original builder had done so here it is. As you can see in my previous posts, I was able to get it free from the roof where it was glued on. I somehow was able to remove it without much damage to the roof or the scoopy thing. I then removed the upholstered sides from the scoop and then I went to work slimming it down considerably. It's probably a 1/3 of it's original size but I feel that it looks more fitting to the car and the theme this way. 

    Also, I scribed out the front of the hood opening as it was lost when I installed the grill surround. I went back and forth with a couple of design ideas there but ultimately decided to do it with a rounded opening.

    I'm pretty much down to cleaning up the back end of the car now. I'll be excited to be done with body work! Lol

    1513401253571

    1513401287980

  4. After removing all of the putty that the original builder put on the body, I was left with these holes right behind the doors on both sides. I could easily fill them but I thought it would be cool to french in dual stubby antennas instead. I'm sure there are a 100 ways to do this but this is how I did it. 

    The original hole:

    1513288148407

    I had to make the hole just a tad larger and then inserted this styrene tube I had. The tighter the fit, the better.

    1513288169720

    I pushed it through the bottom far enough that I could attach sheet styrene to the bottom of it.

    1513288186585

    Then I pushed it back up through and glued it in place.

    1513289018242

    The combination of the snug fit of the styrene tube and CA glue makes for a seamless joint. After sanding and primer, this is the result. 

    1513288203119

  5. I got the body painted white (again) last week. I didn't want to subject you to a picture of that again as I had already posted a picture of my first white paint job (that didn't work out). Lol. The second round of white went much better. Then, this morning, I masked off and painted the roof red.

    1513102091763

  6. On 6/13/2017 at 5:17 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

    Bet it was a relief to find so little damage! By the way, remember the trim on the back edge of the roof should be flush with the roof, not sticking up.

     

    On 6/15/2017 at 4:19 PM, RancheroSteve said:

    Yes, I think if you're going with the "original intent" of the builder you need to use the scoop!

    Here are some shots of what that rear pillar and trim look like in the real word, if you're interested in going for that. AMT got this part of the car pretty wrong.

    C pillar & roof left

    door & C pillar left

    A double thanks for the heads up on this! I was waiting for some paint to dry on another project so I had a couple of minutes to knock this out. Here's what we had before:

    1512627337433

    1512627307609

    So I started by scribing it right in front of the trim which was super easy to do with it being raised the way it was.

    1512627353320

    I then sanded it down smooth

    1512627369555

    And shot it in primer. Took me all of about 4 minutes.

    1512627390535

×
×
  • Create New...