Wow, thanks for all the nice comments. It really was one of the most fun builds I have done and the best part was searching for parts that felt "just right" for this model. I'm not very good with WIP's because I can get sidetracked easily. Looking back I started this model on September 9th 2020. I worked a few things in between but that is sort of how they go. Thought I'd share some images of how it came to be.
Here is the body after the first couple of cuts. I started by removing the roof then separated the rear at the door lines. I tried to keep in mind how I might cut a 1:1 version during the process.
The rear part then had a about a half inch taken out of the middle. This kept the trunk line in tact.
The front piece had the fenders separated from the hood and then the hood had about 1/4” taken off each side to match up with what was taken from the trunk.
One of the first mockups of the body on the AMT Model T chassis. A 1/24th scale driver figure is in place to ensure an real human could fit inside.
The first round of major surgery is complete. The location of the bubble is marked out and that material would be removed with a dremel.
The bubble had now been fitted and this is the start of playing with scoops and fins. An unmolested Comet is behind it.
The grille shell is in progress here. It was basically a bunch of laminated plastic pieces until the shape was right. The custom coves from the 1963 Thunderbird have been added also.
Solidly in the filler, primer, repeat stage the model is starting to look like the final car. A leftover piece from the hood would be grafted into the trunk to give the driver a bit more legroom and the custom scoop could give some airflow. I also like how the peak matched the peak behind the bubble. The grille shell would also be peaked to match the peak in the engine scoop.
The interior had to be mostly custom made. The floor from the Model T was used as a base. The center was cut out so the driver could sit lower between the frame rails. The roll and pleated seat, floor mat, package tray and side panels are all separate pieces of cut half round plastic stock. The seat frame was made from solder.
Here it is getting close to the start of the paint and finish process. Most of the parts are pinned together allowing it to be assembled and disassembled over and over to ensure the parts fit once painted.
Due to reflections in the bubble top, it is difficult to photograph the interior. Here it is prior to final touch up. The floor has custom mixed flocking, a “control panel” cut from the Comet’s custom grille and the custom TV from the Thunderbird. The screen was ground out and a separate piece was created to aid with painting. Several coats of various Alclad pearls were used to replicate the ’60’s style glass screen.
A view of the other side showing the shifter (believe to be a Revell parts pack piece) and the reel to reel tape player. 1/64th” Chartpack tape was used for the “tape” in the player. The headrest is carved plastic but the cushion has not been added yet.
Hope this model inspires you to raid those parts boxes!