Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale-Master

Members
  • Posts

    4,531
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Scale-Master

  1. I milled the 7/16 bolts and washers for the headers. And wrapped them with heat insulation…
  2. I machined the fuel filters. The primary is like what I run on my real cars and all aluminum. (It even has the three spot welds on one end.) The secondary is one of those glass types (that I don't use on my cars…), but I thought it would look cool on this one. I machined the glass tube from some slightly tinted acrylic rod to give the look of it being filled with fuel. The ends and filter element are aluminum and it has gaskets between the glass and metal.
  3. The chassis/underside is no more detailed than the interior, but a little detail painting and mild weathering serves it well.
  4. I also machined the fittings and mounting hardware for the fuel pump. The pump is a mix of cast and grown parts; the motor is machined brass. The bolt on the clamp for the pump is threaded. I made the decals for it too.
  5. It was easier to install Harald around the steering wheel, then slide the seat under him. The interior is not overly detailed, but then it was a motorized model/toy. The gauges on the console received the same treatment as the dash.
  6. This time it went useless at about 16-18 months. Same product (BJB Enterprises TC-892) used to last me 3-5 years without a problem, but right off the bat I could tell this batch was problematic. It started to turn at 4 months. I think they say it's good for a year. Their RTV for molds I bought at the same time had a lot of issues too. Basically it yields 2-3 parts before it sticks to the resin like epoxy. And that is with the mold release they sold. Usually I'd get 20-30 parts before I even needed to use mold release. The customer service on this was pretty much nonexistent even though I've been a customer for decades. I can't recommend BJB anymore. Plus the people I used to deal with no longer work there. I'm sure there is a connection.
  7. The instrument cluster has some detail molded into the gauges. Keeping with the theme of building it straight out of the box, I hand painted them; mostly dry-brushing silver over black. And a drop of clear for the gauge lenses.
  8. Looks like my resin has aged out, so I used the 3D printed master. I still have the mold for these parts, in case I want to make some for other projects. I machined the fittings and mounting hardware for the regulator. The adjusting knob on the regulator is knurled. A small Holley decal was made too, and then it was all lightly dirtied up.
  9. I made the brackets for the fuel pump and regulator out of brass.
  10. I shot the body with some age appropriate Testors enamel, 1111 Blue. A fresh bottle from about 40 years ago; only a little younger than the tooling for the kit. It dried pretty nicely overnight, but this will have to set awhile to cure…
  11. The "battery cover" or rear section of the interior. It's just three pieces so I hand painted the details rather than mask anything.
  12. The taillight panel is clean but the lights are a bit simplistic. Tamiya transparent colors over chrome.
  13. These are the finished 3D printed parts for the pump and regulator. They will be used as patterns to cast resin copies.
  14. The wheels were painted and the tires hand-lettered with Tamiya acrylic colors.
  15. I was going to machine the fuel pump, but decided to 3D design it too except for the main body/motor cylinder. I also have the real counterpart of this pump to work from.
  16. I picked this kit up in Japan at Tamiya (on my second TamiyaCon tour). A good friend had asked me to snag it as it wasn't readily available in the U.S. at the time. It's been patiently sitting for over 18 years and is now on the bench for that friend's collection. It's a reissue of the 1/24th scale '78 motorized kit; sans motor. It will be built out-of-the-box. I'm amazed at how thin the wall thickness of the body is and delicate the molding is. While that is impressive, it is a concern due to the fact that the dark blue plastic is excessively brittle. (This I know firsthand…) A few hours of scribing new and rescribing existing lines plus seam and sink mark removal resulted in this primer ready body.
  17. I designed the fuel regulator in SolidWorks. I have the real part to work from.
  18. The suede rim was done with pearl black pigment added to acrylic flat black.
  19. The spokes of the steering wheel were done with a black base and transparent blue mixed with smoke and clear to get the shade of anodized aluminum I wanted. (They are the only part that's not aluminum.) I made the little fasteners out of a steel pin.
  20. The transmission cooler is made from the kit parts but they were modified. Same for the brackets. The mounting hardware was machined from aluminum. Line fittings will be added later.
  21. I made the upper hold-down bracket from five pieces of hand formed .010 sheet brass.
  22. The finished radiator. The stone guard screen is 0.002 thick PE. The "plastic" fasteners for it are machined aluminum as are the mounting bosses. The petcock is aluminum and steel, machined and made of 3 pieces.
  23. The hard coolant lines from the radiator to the side pods are reworked parts from the kit, the left side being relocated to the top of the modified radiator and bent up much more than the right. The silicone connector hoses are made of brass. The hose clamps are tin and I machined the worm drives from aluminum. Dry fitted together.
  24. I made brackets for the radiator.
×
×
  • Create New...