Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale-Master

Members
  • Content Count

    4,224
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Scale-Master


  1. This was the donor car for a previous project and it gave up its LS engine, drivetrain and suspension.  It is also the model I used to fit the decals for the '98 Pace Car decals for Revell kit to and I didn't put it back in the box properly back then so one of the A pillars was bent from being stored like that for 22 years.  (Part of why it was a donor…)  Repairable?   Easily, but this should be more fun.

     

    The first step was to make a hard tonneau cover for the right side.  Sheet plastic was cut and formed to fit. 

    hf0iBdD.jpg

    The sculpted part of the convertible cover on the Corvette body was smoothed out and a fairing was added on the driver's side.   Some panel lines were filled and part of the trunk line was relocated.  I wanted to keep the passenger side door lines.

    rljKkX7.jpg

    The A pillars were cut down to match the reshaped windshield and the wipers were removed from the cowl.

    6iuOmVw.jpg

    cONyMNJ.jpg

    Hp1RL6r.jpg


  2. Thank you Nigel!

     

    I turned my attention back the carbs and added brass tubing to the intake for positive locating of the Webers.  I used the one I test grew to double check alignment.

    kfPXA55.jpg


  3. While I was able to engineer in the correct angles for the intake manifold to mate to the block and heads when I designed it; the printer left too much slag on the bottom surfaces and I had to fixture it up in my mill to cut those angles for a proper fit.  This material is very brittle and I was relieved that it took the vise and milling as well as it did.

    I also added a couple more magnets to it.

     

    0vVyuKZ.jpg

     

    The block received two more magnets too.  As well as brass tubing under the thermostat housing and the distributor to positively locate and align the manifold.

    9T0ZM88.jpg

    VzBsQEQ.jpg


  4. The radius rods in the kit are clunky chromed plastic with C type snap "fittings".  And they are somewhat flexible.  
    I drew up adjustable rod ends and joints and printed some out.  I printed one set assembled together for the rear joints to make mocking it up and sizing the rods easier.
    The main radius rods are steel rod and the receivers for the control links are brass rod.
    30AnI8j.jpg
    fmm66gz.jpg
     


  5. On 6/17/2020 at 8:47 AM, Steamboat said:

    XL 350 one-lunger. I can't remember what year. It would be way cool to build it in 1:25 scale though. 

    That tank is definitely a '76.  Love those thumpers.

    I had a '75 XL250 with a 350 piston kit to make it a 305 and a super high lift Webcam.  My riding buddy had a twin to yours and he kept it immaculate.  That was a good looking bike. 

    Yes, a model of that would be great, especially in 1/12 for me...


  6. I think it has a steep initial learning curve, but full immersion helped me catch on relatively quickly.  Plus I needed to learn it for work.

     

    First print of the full manifold.

    tQxDMpJ.jpg

    V84rejy.jpg

    Test printed the carb parts at the same time.  In the end it looks like I'll have to machine hardware for them like usual.

    aGSuz2t.jpg

    FrKRrgB.jpg

    Although I was half surprised the lower linkage and springs grew…

    EbpxXGU.jpg

     OsUfs27.jpg


  7. Thanks Trevor!

     

    I designed a Weber 48 IDA carb in SolidWorks.  I might have gone a little overkill, but sometimes those details print well.  Even though I made the springs and hardware I'll probably print the master without some of those details and machine them in metal like usual.

    05ylFPI.jpg

    Linkages that can barely be seen…

    TYBC4Os.jpg

    The screen is a separate part too.

    RlB6AQ2.jpg

    Idle and mixture screws with springs.

    uEq4F1L.jpg


  8. Why don't you post some in-progress photos so the people here can give you some tips in time for you to use them?   

    If you truly want to improve, all you need to do is ask if there's a better or different way to get the results before going too far.  You obviously can see these things since you point them out on the finished models. 

    After all, there's no need to keep finishing models that you admit you wished had come out better when there's so much knowledge here ready to be shared.  

     


  9. Almost exactly one week after I started it…

    These are fun kits to build out of the box.  Once you start detailing beyond that, the flaws really become evident.  But they sure look cool when displayed as a collection.

    pMqCHK9.jpg

    3QwW2dB.jpg

    HzOgX5Y.jpg

    GephQbX.jpg

    anLr8oL.jpg

    9OyomQd.jpg


  10. I keep my "workhorse" VL loaded with a #5 needle & cone.  I have a second VL ready to run loaded with a #1 set.  I have a third VL with a #3 needle and cone, but use the other two most of the time as the overlap between them covers all the bases. 

    The older VLs seemed to work consistently from one AB to the next, but the "modern" ones each seem to have a different personality and I've come across a few that work very poorly (or not at all) out of the box new. 

    I think the quality of the old ones is far better than the new ones.


  11. Thanks Chris!

    All the decals are applied.  Some are layered, meaning a white image had to go down (and dry) before the yellow ones could be laid over and eyeball registered to them.  So a little extra dry time was required.  Fit is something that leaves a bit to be desired.  Typical for these kits of the era.

    vZKhoUJ.jpg

    usjqWWC.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...