That before 1981 rule really limits me as I like so many others, when I got my first car, I gave all my model stuff to the kid next door. The only model I kept was the Don Garlets SR1. For some reason I kept this built model. I purchased it new at Woolworth in probably 1971 right after it came out. I still have the box and instructions. I did restore the kit in 1987, somewhere along the way the rear wing came up missing, but that was ok as the earliest version of the dragster didn't have the wing.I want to build a second version with the wing, but haven't got there as yet. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I had to dig this out of storage, it was a glue bomb purchased to replicate my father in laws 1964 Buick Riviera.I restored it back in 1993. At the time he owned a car just like it. As an annual kit the 1964 was modified into the1965, and the 1964 was hard to locate. I built it out of the box until I got to the motor. Here I added as much detail as I could muster. The air cleaner is hand painted to match his motor. I'm not this steady anymore. Too much coffee I guess. I sent the chrome off to Chrome Tech to be replaced. I wish I had before photos. But that wasn't as easy to do back then as it is now.
Hey Chris, I ran into the same problem and ended up making my own. I was building the AMT 67 Camaro. I started with the kits rear axle. The factory covers have what I would call an eyebrow across the top portion of the cover. I've included a photo of a typical 12 bolt rear cover. I took a strip of plastic and glued it to the axle and filled and sanded it to the correct shape. At the time I just made bolt heads" 12 of them" and added them to the outer edge. There a little big here. I just tried to evenly space them apart according to the photo. I have since found Plastruct hex in really small sizes that I now use to recreate bolt heads. Hope this helps.