Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

dragcarz

Members
  • Posts

    1,319
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by dragcarz

  1. 12 hours ago, afx said:

    I'm no photographer but I use a piece of poster board propped up on my work bench to hide the background clutter when I'm taking progress photos.  This help my camera focus on the subject of the photograph and not the surrounding objects. 

    Enjoying the project.

    I’ll give that a try, I’m no photographer, obviously:)

  2. While waiting for the chassis mods to dry, I started on the tunnel ram. The Johan AMC motor has a deep curved lifter valley. A tunnel ram comes in the Gremlin kit but the lifer valley is flat and it’s too tall. I started with the duel quad intake from the 53 Corvette and added the plenum from another  tunnel ram. The scrap Matador kit had a single 4 barrel intake the matched the curved valley. I cut the ends from the 4 barrel intake and put the AMC ends on the Corvette manifold. The 1/1 car had modified tunnel ram hobbled together by AMC, and this looks similar to theirs. 

    606C2D4B-3162-444A-BB50-EF0FED2E1A58.jpeg

    B94EFC11-5A34-4608-8F79-0C75AD00355D.jpeg

    5586A5C8-B2B1-4176-80D2-460C5ED0A4B3.jpeg

    C8F35BE3-3FBA-4EA5-A12F-A20BA1914CD9.jpeg

    07DEF04D-4FD9-4DDA-B62D-7A4214945B7B.jpeg

    • Like 1
  3. Stance, Ride Height, whatever you call it, can make or break a model! Get this wrong and it just won’t look right. All the detail in the world isn’t going to help if at first glance the model doesn’t appear realistic sitting there. I try to find a good photo of the car sitting still, and pay attention to where the center of the wheels are in relation to the body rocker panels. Is it above or below the rocker panel and I try to place the wheel centers accordingly. I also try and match tire sizes. If I can obtain the correct tire/ slick size, I measure different kit slicks and conversion the measurements to 1/1 scale. 
    On the real car, according to my reference material the rear springs were moved inboard into the rear frame rails for additional tire clearance so I starter these modifications by notching the rear rails and filling the original spring mount holes with styrene. 
    The Dana Rear axle housing was also braced, so I added the braces using Plastic Rod. 

    0E6D8898-05EB-44C5-8725-7A1E3D602AF9.jpeg

    2D16C9C0-2772-4709-8AF0-3A8797C29C25.jpeg

    A0924FC5-FA11-4EFA-A55C-C8D6C6BB85F6.jpeg

    9CF01C57-9FFB-44BB-AD85-9FF92A7F4125.jpeg

  4. Small update, the downer 69 Rambler chassis’ front crossmember was short molded. The front frame rails were also very thin, like Kit flashing, so I needed to replace the crossmember and I filled the gaps in the rails to strengthen it. Kari suggested the engine from the Matador kit might be a more accurate, so I pulled my NASCAR Matador kit out. At some point I had obtained a poorly built glue bomb and put it in with the new kit. There I found my answer to the crossmember. I cut it free and trimmed it to fit. I did look at the engine though, and I have the one from the original funny car kit and it appears to be a good choice, so I’ll be using it. I also found that the AMT NASCAR kits rear spring fit perfectly in the shock towers. I have some lower control arms, I think there from the Monogram 65-66 Mustang kit, that I’m going to try and make work

    3BD5F12C-53F4-4ADC-B88B-5B386122C9E0.jpeg

    B7A65BC6-F447-4A49-96E2-C36CAFF84FCA.jpeg

    C9C71E6D-308C-4899-B2F8-3FB86E46D7D2.jpeg

    C62B0532-4216-4411-B127-3A69D4A73BEA.jpeg

    E7394B7B-9F62-4C41-BDC4-17F87D25D861.jpeg

    D18A24A1-8103-4107-8A4C-F3D2988FF141.jpeg

    • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...