Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maindrian Pace

Members
  • Posts

    2,092
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Maindrian Pace

  1. Put the finishing touches on this car yesterday, before the Moonlight club meeting. The Aurora kit is just terrible, approaching if not equaling Palmer levels of terrible. I had one of these years ago mint unbuilt in the box and my intention was to try to correct it, as it's the only Cyclone kit of this vintage ever made. But the kit's value and my level of patience at the time were not lining up, so I sold it and waited for a glue bomb to bubble to the surface. When it did a year ago, I scooped it up and took stock of what I had to start with. Which was even scarier looking than the unbuilt version. Just wrong everywhere, it's obvious why Monogram never reissued it when they bought Aurora's 1:32 series in the '70s and did the rest. The kit is buildable as a drag car only with no stock parts. I decided to correct a few things, which became a few more, which led to way more than originally intended. The idea was not to make it perfect, but rather presentable. The build thread is over in the build thread department. After correcting the body, interior, bumper location, and converting the drag hood to a twin scoop Cyclone hood, I pieced an engine together with under scale parts from various 1:25 kits and used a lengthened chassis from an Aurora/Monogram '65 Mustang. Wheels are early '60s Revell Mopar turned down in a lathe, and the finishing touches include photo etched rings on the taillight lenses, windshield wipers from Evergreen strip, and a set of side mirrors from the Harry Pristovnik memorial side mirror collection. Paint is Polar white with medium red interior, chrome trim is BMF with Molotow used on the emblems. It actually didn't fight me very hard, I think it wanted to amount to something less embarrassing than it was.
  2. Thanks for the nice words Alan. The Comet is done, after I take some photos I will post it in Under Glass. I've been on a 1:32 kick for a few years now, peppering them in amongst the 1:25 projects and resin mastering work. I like the creative parts sourcing necessary in this scale, the oddball subject matter, and the general change of pace. Mike lives in the next city over, and I have been to his house and actually held that '34 coupe in my hands. It's otherworldly, it looks like a nicely detailed, pro built 1:25 scale street rod - but smaller, and has too many scratch built items to list. With determination, (more than I have) anything is possible.
  3. OK, where were we? Oh yes. Close now, very close.
  4. Very nice work so far. It will be interesting to see your changes to the green house - roof pillars, vent posts, and window shapes.
  5. That is very impressive, a phantom that likely nobody else ever thought of, completely natural in proportion. And a super clean build on top of that, 10/10.
  6. This forum has it's own pic uploader, and it's easy to use.
  7. The fit is OK, some trimming might be necessary in the back as you said, but a lot better than many trans kits and their recommended donor kits.
  8. Not me, but another member here. I'm sure he'll make it know when they will be available. Thanks, looks like a simple mod. Thank you.
  9. That should work, I'm on it.
  10. Yes, please. These would sell well, considering where the prices of '78-'79 Broncos have been going in the last few years.
  11. He didn't ask, and it never occurred to me. Can you find a good pic of that area?
  12. Very nice job, it really does look like a period fire/rescue chief's car.
  13. A friend in the model club bought this minty and rare MPC '71 Demon, knowing the major problem that this kit has - the front wheel openings are Duster/Valiant, not the completely different Demon/Dart that they should be. I had no idea - but once you see it, it's an obvious mistake. So he asked me if I could correct them to the proper shape, and blend the engine compartment from the current tool Duster 340 kit so this can be cast as a transkit to be used with that Duster kit. "Oh, and could you please not use the mint $300 Demon kit as a base for this?" No problem, I guess. So he cast the Demon body and gave me a resin copy to hack away on. Working with resin masters can be tricky, but what isn't. I printed a photo of a Demon left side and sketched in the new opening. Had to add some resin in the upper rear corners to allow for the new shape. I then made patterns to trace the left side onto the right side so both were identical. I made a scribing tool to make the curved depression above the wheel wells - a detail lacking in previous efforts to correct this body. After fitting the kit hood and grille, the final step was to relocate the right fender Pentastar more rearward, done by foil casting a new emblem and putting it in the right place. Top - original Demon body.
  14. Great conversion work, perfect proportions from all angles.
  15. This little car is looking better all the time. Saving the unsavable is one of my favorite things to do.
  16. Beautiful job on the engine and wheels, this one is going to be a stunner.
  17. Go through ebay for a refund, no communication from a seller on very late items is a bad sign, so that's all you can do.
  18. You did that rare kit plenty of justice, that may be the nicest built version I've yet seen. Beautiful job.
  19. Super nice job, very correct looking conversion.
  20. That interior is just comin atcha live!
  21. Nice work. You should be able to get another decal sheet from R-M to fix the hood. If at first you don't succeed...
×
×
  • Create New...