While sitting at a red light I spotted the back of this in a restaurant parking lot and just had to find out what it was. I was very surprised to see it was a Subaru. I have no idea what model or year it is, but it sure is cool. Any one know anything about this little car?
It's on hold until it warms up a bit. My workbench is in the basement which isn't heated, but usually stays fairly worm. This year it's been fairly cool down there and I hate being cold. The good news is warm weather is in the 10 day forecast for my area, so I should be back on this soon.
Thanks Rich. I went to the modelhaus site and filled in the info on the search and nothing came up under bumpers and grilles. Then after you posted they had them I just tried "All parts types" and there it was!
In my experience with dealing with this sort of thing you have to sand down past the surface of the plastic. Imagine the body being a road surface and your sanding a shallow pothole where the vents are, then filling it in. I use a styrene/MEK mix to make a filler. Use a thin layer and give it a few days to a week for the MEK to evaporate, then sand it smooth.
I used .020 square rod to make a drip rail for the roof. I also was reminded of how much I hate working with Ca glue. I almost made it with one piece, but it was about a half inch to short. One of the front corners split, so seeing as the joint was going to be in the front anyway, I cut both sides.just behind the front doors to add the needed piece.
It's crazy how a little detail like this changes the whole look ( at least to me it does) of the van.
The corner closest in this pic split too. If I can't sand it round to follow the contour of the body, I'll cut it out and make a new section to fill in.
I started looking through the inventory for some donor door handles. I found a pair from a 56 Nomad that looked close enough. Here's my rig for making the mold.
I've never tried to cast something so small, I hope I don't screw it up.
I think I've found a way to scribe the doors. First I made a huge mess trying to scribe the lines straight and smooth. I then worked off of this disaster and kept carving until I had a shape I could deal with. I then filled it all in with finishing putty and before it set completely, I scribed the lines again.
This was followed up with some sanding and re-scribing.