Thank you for the input. The interior will be an additional challenge since the seat patterns are different. The '67 seat inserts had horizontal detailing and the '66 pattern was a vertical design. Your wagon and El Camino are outstanding. I really like the showroom look.
I believe that Ford offered the Kellsy Hays wire wheels as an option on the Thunderbird only. I would have to believe that Ford dealers would put them on anything else if you wanted to pay for it. The hub cap setup that Scott mentioned was a pretty common option on the Fairlanes of the day.
I like what you're doing with this Ron. Can you share a little bit about what you had to do on the front fenders ? I would like to do something similar only with the '66 El Camino. I once owned a '67 El Camino and have wanted to update the '66 El Camino body using the Revell '67 Chevelle body. I already have both kits, but you mentioned the problems you had with the front end. Any additional information you could share would be appreciated. I also read that article and think this would have been a really trick car to have owned.
I think I can understand where they're coming from. How many times have you purchased a Revell kit to get the wheels and tires or even other parts ? I've used the 40% off coupons from Hobby Lobby to do this and keep an eye on their Bargain area for long unsold kits. While I save money Revell still sells a kit and doesn't have to deal with different wheels and tires that they probably will not make much income off of. It's a smart business decision on their part.
The biggest problem it seems with large decals is the seams for doors and such. As others have pointed out , cutting them into sections might be the best idea. The other thing with a decal that covers a large area is that one part of the decal will try to take a set and not allow you to maneuver the rest of the decal into place.
In the past when faced with similar issues I used a large 35 gal. trash can as a base and a grocery store type cardboard box about 16" by 18" as a paint booth. They trash can put the "booth" at a comfortable level and the box contained a majority of the over spray. The over spray that did escape usually settles down into the trash can. I think if you used your outside balcony on a very calm day you would have little problem with over spray and the odors would be outside also.
I'm just finishing a build with a tutone interior. The colors are Orange and white in a combination of white vinyl and an orange cloth pattern. I used Tamiya white primer and masked and sprayed the orange. Then applied the cloth pattern decals and sprayed everything with Tamiya flat clear. It looks very realistic if I say so myself.
I have an area in the basement that remains no lower than the 50's in the winter and always stays cool in the summer because its mostly under ground with a vent to the HVAC system. So I don't understand why this stuff just seems to turn in 30 to 60 days. Anyway I'm going to get some Castrol Purple this weekend and give it a try.
I think some of the AMT early 90's pick-ups had these as part of an option. Also check out any of the early "Pro Street" type kits as some of those had tires like this. The Revell '67 Chevelle "Street Burner" has some very nice treaded Firestones that are 3/4" wide and 1 1/4" tall. They would make great rear tires.
If your finish is really smooth you might start with a couple coats of clear and do your final polishing on that finish. I have used Tamiya TS-14 Black before and have always been happy with it, but it really needs a couple of clear coats to make it shine.
Thanks for the heads up on the Castrol Purple. I've been using something called Purple Power with less than satisfactory results. It will turn slowly to a jelly like substance even when stored in a sealed Tupper Ware container. It works slowly, 3-4 days, to remove kit chrome or paint. Looks like I need to go shopping.
A delivery would be my first pick also. I saw a resin Merc. chopped top "woody" and a Ranchero like body also. If nothing else you have a ton of nice parts for other build. I'd like to see what you make of this.
If you are still looking for a top boot, I used the one in the AMT '65 GTO. That kit had the option of being a convertible or a hardtop with a simulated vinyl finish. As I recall there was very little sanding to shape the boot to fit. Don't forget on the convertible the interior sides are narrower for the top arms to fold into when the top is down.