The Report function of the forum works well. If you see someone acting up, acting out, or just being an okole, use the Report function. It works! I have it set up so it not only sends me an email, but that email is then marked with a flag, and get's put to the top of my email list. I will try to access/look at the report/topic as soon as possible, but remember, I'm on a six hour time delay, and other mods not only have a life, but a real job as well. k den
I seen the last contest and there was a gallery of models. Some had aftermarket parts and painted as I said to your own colors. This gallery I can not find now, Italeri keep updating their web page. There is a link to "Your Models" so maybe they are in here???
Chris the cab is a very light grey. The frame rails are longer than the Bill Signs, they are the rails used for the normal 359 kit. You have the option to build a complete Bill Signs frame or the 359 frame.
Here is one I built, I used the Bill Signs frame.
An update on the build of the engine. This is a Maxxforce engine and from the pictures I have seen the block is blue. I have decided to build this in my colours that will go with the colour of the truck. Pictures show a step by step as it isn't quite clear how the parts go together.
If you want a detailed engine then you have to assemble just these parts and paint the block first:
I then painted the engine pulley belts and fixed in position, the smaller pulley/belt goes on first. I also fitted the Alternator, top right in the photo. This would not fit as the oil filler pipe was in the way. I tried to bend this but it snapped off, so I made an adjustment for it to fit. At the bottom of the engine is a cross member with the horn fitted:
The next photos show the parts assembled in order,exhaust manifold, oil filter and top right is the air pump fitted:
Next is the 2 turbo chargers with exhaust and intercooler. I found it easier to assemble the first turbo with the second as per photo then fit this to the engine, then fitted the exhaust pipe. This is not glued into position just incase I need to make any adjustments later to fit this to the other pipe work::
The rest of the pictures are the engine fully assembled, I just need to go round again and touch up:
Here is a mistake I made. The first picture shows the rear shock absorbers. I removed one and tried to fit this realising that I had cut off a locating pin. I am used to shocks with a round edge at the bottom. Second picture shows the part that I cut off:
Assembled drive axels:
This next part fits into the chassis and the part that holds the side skirts. You can see the locating tabs are shorter on the left hand side. This shorter bit fits into the chassis, the longer tab would not fit as it hits one of the cross members.
This is the side skirt holders in place, as you look at the picture the right side faces the front of the frame.
Next I fitted the fuel tank brackets. I used 1 half of the tank to align all the brackets, there are holes for the brackets but I wanted to make sure these were straight:
Next I built the 2 drive axles. Here we have another problem with the wrong instructions. This is the backing plate for the last axle, you can see the locating holes and these need fitted in the correct position and not as shown in the instructions.
This is how it is shown to be fitted in the instructions:
This is it fitted correctly as you can see if the brake chamber hole was in the previous position the the brake chamber would be hitting the suspension.
Next I fitted the airbags, and these have to be fitted the correct way. The picture shows the left airbag correct and the right shows the incorrect way. You can see how the right airbag stick out more.
Final picture shows the axles fitted. This is a good fit, and the small propshaft is tightly fitted in place.
Thanks for your comments. Jim B the seats I realised after fitting, down to the instructions. Regarding the decals with the seats and sleeper wall...I fitted these on top of the raised text...hindsight is a great thing. But this is what my post is about so that others learn from the mistakes/faults.
I am constructing the steering and this has been built wrong...not my fault, honest, but it does not affect the steering....just confuses you when you want to fit the steer arm. I had left the steering box off the chassis until I was ready to fit the steer axle so I could see where all the link rods would go. This steering box should have a hole in it where the black dot is, but it hasn't.
The next picture shows the steer axle. Please take note of this as this is what confused me later. Hindsight here, use this position of the axle to work from. As you can see in the right side there is a small hole. This is not mentioned in the instructions but is important to make sure this is on the correct side. This side is referred to the left side in the instructions, which it is when you rotate it into the position when fitted.
I assembled the parts as instructed. Now the tie rod looks like this and the second picture shows it in the incorrect postion,:
Axle assembled and you can see the small hole where the steer arm fits. This is where I have made the mistake and you will see why.
This is the axle fitted and the steer tie rod faces behind the axle.
The small hole should be on the right side, side of the steering box...mine isn't....
This picture shows how it should be, although this is in reverse as you can see by the tie rod facing forward, this is just to show where the hole should be.
The drag link connects to the steer arm and then the drag link should fit into a hole in the steering box, but there is no hole. Do not worry about this because these parts do NOT operate the steering. The steering still steers. So if you construct the axle the way I did it will not affect the steering., and it isn't a problem fitting the steer arm as I cut the locating pin off and glued to the axle.