Almost got one truck finished for Derby City Shootout on Saturday. I still have some minor things to finish such as bumpers, mirrors, and tail lights. I ran out of time on the red truck. I am going to finish it for another show August 15th.
Here's another update on my builds. I have a contest next weekend some I am really gonna have to get after it and finish these up. I decided to LS swap the blue truck. I decided to give the LS a classic look with the script valve covers. I'll just relocate the coil packs to the firewall. The beds are going back in paint tonight.
Finally got back on these trucks. Had a big set back, got my beds assembled and realized I forgot to spray the hair spray under the body color. So the beds are coming back apart and in the stripper to be repainted. Whats everyones thoughts on the roof rack? I tried out some door lettering last night and I am very pleased with it. Shelby City is the old part of my town that doesnt really exist anymore. I thought it fit the idea of an old speed shop so the name stuck. I've had a big obsession with old motorcycles here lately so that's where I came up with the idea.
Here are the cabs after the method I have been describing. After getting them out of paint and letting them dry for a day or two the first thing I usually do is scuff the paint with some sand paper. I usually go over the whole body and sand heavier on the areas where I want rust to show through. The reason for that is because the paint is to thick for the water to penetrate. That's why it works best with an air brush cause you have a lot more control than your typical spray can. Once you apply water to the paint it will start to bubble as the hairspray dissolves. Then I just use a stiff brush to chip away the paint. Its a pretty simple process and I like look I can achieve with it. I still need to add a wash and some weathering powders to the cabs but that will come later. On the red truck I will try and get some better pictures of the body. My phones camera just doesn't show the true color of the red.
Here's the interior for the blue truck. The pinstriping has kinda been a signature thing for me on my last few trucks so I figured I would do it again. On the shifter I built it to resemble my shifter in my 1:1. I carved out a boot and surfboard from square stock. The surfboard is supposed to be like a landshark lager beer tap.
I used aerosol. I'll have some more pictures tomorrow since I have access to a computer. My home computer is broke currently. I about have the interiors finished. I got the cabs mostly weathered so you guys can see the results of this method.