My Dad's first car was a '39 Plymouth coup, and it may have saved his life. He was in the Marine Corps at the time and his unit was getting ready to ship out to Korea when the CO said they needed someone to go to high-speed radio training, and it had to be someone with their own car. As my father was the only one with a p.o.v., he went off to school while his buddies, many of whom did not return, went off to Korea. He eventually became an instructor, and spent the entire war in the states.
I had a model of the Apollo command module that came with a reel to reel tape recording of the mission communications. Luckily my father worked for Ampex at the time (late 60's), so we had the equipment to play it.
It occurs to me that this may well have been a safety consideration. With the tailgate lowered, the tail lights are now at the extremis of the vehicle giving following motorists a clear visual indication of where the tailgate actually is. This would be particularly helpful at night.
Just a thought.
A WWII German recon tank; over 2000 parts, so I need to take frequent breaks from it to preserve what remains of my sanity,
A 1:12 Bentley that keeps getting stalled by lack of specific ref' materials.
And a hyper detailed '39 Chevy pro-street, for which I have now built and discarded three frames and two sets of headers.
These three have actually been "on my bench" for over a year, during which time I have completed four other models (one at a time). So I guess you could say that I typically have four going at any one time.
I had an Opel Cadet that hated the number three... Or it was the number three that hated my Opel ?
Three days after I bought her I was rear-ended by a drunk at the corner of 3rd and Carlisle. The reporting officer estimated his speed at approximately thirty miles per hour. Luckily, I had purchased insurance on her three hours prior.
I really liked the car, so I bought her back from the insurance company, which had totaled her, for $300. I put in a new radiator, which was the only mechanical damage from the accident, pounded out the rear sheet metal and drove her out to California.
Exactly three weeks after the initial accident, I was applying for a job at T3 plastics when she was broad-sided by a semi, hauling 3M products, in their parking lot. The trucking company's insurance got her back in shape, and even replaced the rear bumper which they assumed was damaged by their driver.
I drove her for another three years, until she mysteriously vomited out all her transmission fluid in the middle of the highway, about 300 miles into my third trip back to New Mexico.
I picked one of these up a couple years ago, as a partial glue bomb. I've been working on it, off and on, ever since. The size makes "super detailing" easier, which is fortunate since the limitations of the molding technology of the time make it almost mandatory.
I can see that you've done many of the same modifications that I did: separating the spring shackles, sanding off the molded wrapping and getting rid of the molded on stone screening on the fuel tank (although my approach was to scratch build a new tank)
I think the screen you used is a better match to the 1:1, but this is all I had on hand. The wrapped fuel lines are old strings from my guitar.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit. I like where it's going so far.