Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'r32'.
This build will hopefully take less than 10 years. Can’t promise though. ? Anyway….so after building that…lets call it “challenging” ABC Dino kit, I decided I needed to build something that actually fit right, didn’t have to be re-worked, and had plenty of reference material to build properly. So, old, well-fitting and nicely designed, trouble free Tamiya kit seemed like a good start, right? Wanted something simple. Picked up this R32 kit on eBay the other day - always liked these Skylines, my brother had one back in the 90’s, and I currently am seriously considering bringing one to Texas. So this felt like a good choice: The kit itself requires no introduction, it did however arrive slightly damaged, with roof squished in, and radiator support bracket snapped. Had to repair both pillars and the bracket before proceeding – turned out just fine, luckily was a clean break: Body was primed with Tamiya grey, artifacts sanded off, ready for color coat: I picked Bayside Blue for the color, had the paint from Zero Paints sitting in the box for 10 years. Stunning color. Cleared with Dupont Chromaclear. Polished with Tamiya coarse, 3M finish, and Treatment model wax for shine. Had a few tiny specs land on the clear, but luckily was able to polish those out: Then long and tedious process of cleaning up all the parts – remove parting lines, fill the sink holes, cut the burrs – you know the drill. Bunch of black and aluminum/metal parts painted: Started with the engine. It’s a nicely designed powerplant, lacking detail by modern standards, but still good. I wish they would give the lettering in the middle of the cam cover as a decal, but they didn’t, had to paint it and well… I’m not very good at detail work anymore, came out ok I guess, filled in couple of letters there. Will spare you progress shots, but here are few pix of the engine before I stuffed it into the front subframe carrier – added some minor details like fuel rail, coil pack harness, couple of vacuum hoses, some hose clamps, etc. Surprisingly good level of engraving on some parts, but then its Tamiya after all. Engine is mounted on the subframe carrier: Next, I started working on the chassis. After studying several underside pictures, I painted it with some primer showing through in the mid-section, cause most cars I saw had that portion rustproofed or some such, and it was this grey-yellowish color, so I thought that was a good way to replicate that finish. Turned out great. Decided to add some heat shielding before installing the engine and suspension: Installed front subframe and other suspension bits in the front: Same with the rear suspension/fuel tank/exhaust : Overall, I think it looks great, will still add few bits here and there, but I’m trying not to get carried away, as this was planned as a “box-stock” kinda build…. Finally, couple of the shots of the engine bay as it sits right now. A bit bare, but there are still a few additions that I plan to fill up the empty spots. There are few little bits that I have already added there – drilled out front shock mounts and added strut stocks sticking through, battery cables, etc. So this is where I am at the moment.
Another one finished. I'm a bit "meh" with how this one turned out. I dunno something about it just doesn't sit right with me, and I'm not 100% happy with it. But no point dwelling on it, just gotta move onto the next one. I did have fun painting the inside of the bonnet though I might revisit this kit at a later date and try to see if I can do better.
Hi, I am new here and have to say that there are amazing models in the forum. Although I rarely do cars I do enjoy it very much. This video is somewhat experimental for me and I will be thankful to see your feedback! Best regards M.