Search the Community
Showing results for tags '1929 ford'.
Found 2 results
This creation represents an Argentinian-market Ford Model A Phaeton (four-door convertible) that had been been modified at some point in its career into a pickup, as was common there. Mine is a composite of several I've come across on various vehicle sales sites. Condition of vehicles in those listings vary from nice restorations to rusted out hulks. Mine is somewhere in the middle. This project is a combination of Revell "Rat Rod" pickup and AMT woodie/pickup kits. Because of the mix, some components came out a bit less than straight and true, such as the front axle. It would appear that cars in Argentina were assembled with RHD up until the '40s, so I converted the Revell front axle and steering gear to RHD. The curved cab back wall is actually the front seatback panel. This was represented by a Monogram '60s Corvette Stingray windshield. Modern aftermarket turn signals have been added, and weathering was accomplished using rust-colored paint along with artists' pastels and colored pencils. (BTW: I have no real connection to South America...I'm just fascinated by the variations of vehicles down there.) More images can be found here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_w_austin/sets/72157634893359388/page3
Someone had described this kit as a "clear the bench" kit, which led me to think, "Why not?" so I pushed all the stalled projects aside and started working on this puppy... i[/url I decided to step out of my comfort zone and build something shiny. I'm also playing with Tamiya paints, since I don't have a lot of experience with them. Third, I did my color separation with Tamiya Tape to see how it would go. Apparently not as well as my previous work with BMF as a mask. Building impressions? The kit is overall beautiful and well tooled. Major parts like the engine assembly, interior sides / body / floor pan all pretty much snap together. Very sure fitting with nice results. There are a ton of options. I had trouble deciding what to use since there's so much in the box... then it hit me, no worries I'll just build more! So I am building a highboy. The photos above show the kit seat in place, but I've also prepared a few other options. I wanted to put a set of tiny buckets in it, but only once I had painted everything so I didn't want to go backwards and make a back panel for the cab. Next one! Colors... Main body is Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue (I'll bet somebody can tell me WHY I used this!) and Tamiya Pure White. Interior is a Duplicolor light tan. So what else did I notice? The chrome is very well done and it's been mentioned before that they packed it nicely, with a bit of bubble wrap between the sheets in the plastic bag. The only issues I found was that my full height radiator shell has a tiny dent on the left side. I opened my second kit and it appears to be a mold issue rather than just a spot on my chrome. The other issue with the chrome was that it wiped off easily with a quick swipe of lacquer thinner. I had wanted to put the Tamiya blue in between the ribs on the trans pan and other chrome components but upon experimenting with the transmission pan, I found that the quick wipe of thinner to make the chrome ribs stand out took off the chrome! So I went to my second kit for a clean part. I experimented a bit with the thinner on chrome sprue, and yes it's quite delicate. The wheels are nicely done, and at first I was happy to see a valve stem. I always add them to my builds. Turns out I would've been better adding one as it's very small and very difficult to get color onto. Same with the lug nuts. I managed to paint them all, but the detail is small enough that some folks wouldn't see it. The kit is also missing a master cylinder and coil, and side mirrors and windshield wipers would be optional but nice. I will add most of this to mine, as many of us will. The tooling was very well thought through to hide things like ejector pin marks in places that won't be seen. The engine and transmission follow that with pans for both engine and trans, and only the fly wheel panel has a seam that needs to be filled. The only thing I don't like is that you are likely to see the tabs from the interior side panels on the bottom edges of the pan, up against the inside of the frame rails. I'm leaving out the nicely done fuel tank and battery since you won't see them in this version. No doubt they are there for the future versions of the kit. The Model A has that characteristic fuel filler on the cowl, missing because of the fuel tank relocation, but I'm adding it to mine. Overall, I'm having a lot of fun and won't be putting this one down until it's done!