Search the Community
Showing results for tags '1934 ford'.
Found 2 results
Okay it's sectioned not chopped. When I did the other '34 sedan that I just finished, I took very little out of the body section. I took it out between the two body bands but not the cowl, so the side windows were full but the windshield got a chop. This one is chopped below the two body bands and I took out twice as much plastic... Just to see what it would look like. The blue tape shows how much is coming out. I usually do my cutting with my little battery powered drill. You can see the perforations for the first cut here OOPS! Buncha parts! The band on the right is the section of about 6" in scale. The section on my other car is about 3" scale And here we are glued back together. As I said above, I cut with my small drill, creating tight perforations. Then I score it from the back and it just comes apart like ripping two stamps apart. I clean up the edges, but they actually work well for gluing with Zap-A-Gap and creates a lot of room to bite. Note that I had to cut a small slice out of the door to move it back so the front door line would match. Now we play with putty and shoot some primer to see how we did... A tutorial on this board showed me a neat way to Z a chassis so that's the next step. While I kept the last one at a standard height but sectioned over the rails, this one may go real low! Comments?
This model is over five years old, back when I decided to see what would happen if I sectioned 6 scale inches out of the body. Then I decided it would be neat to use an unexpected engine, so the Plymouth flathead six from the '41 Plymouth kit was built up. Wheels and tires were picked out, then the project died. The model sat way too high and I couldn't figure out how to get it down. I picked it up this past December, when I usually finish an old project over the holiday season. I immediately saw my issue. I had taken the height out of the body, but not the interior. So I spliced it up and got it where it should be. Then the height was just where I wanted it and I was excited to finish it. I didn't make my January 1 deadline, but kept at it, especially as I added more detail and got things right (at least for me!). She's been finished about two weeks now. Headlights came out of the old Barris Ice Cream Truck. The directionals on top are little self adhesive jewels from Michaels. Horns are from the 1950 Ford pickup. Front wheels and tires are from the kit. The six inch section was taken out right at that body line above the door handle. That left the side and rear windows full size, but reduced the windshield down like a chop. The rear wheels and tires are from the old MPC '28 LIncoln Gangbusters kit. I had an old glue bomb. Tail lights were roof lights from a big rig. I added '59 Caddy tail lights to it. I pinned the tail lights in place. The rear carrier came from the parts box but I think it was an old Johan item. The rim of it was chrome. It is sitting on the kit provided spare mount and has the actual spare tire inside it. It can be seen from behind. I had to whittle the tire down to fit it in there. The decal on the back was made on my printer. It's a bit fuzzy here but it says "For All You Know, I Might Be Dead". The graphic is an old 1920s comic postcard in my collection that I reduced. It's actually very sharp in person. And since I can't go to GSL in Salt Lake this year, I added a Utah plate. The paint job is one of my typical old and worn ones that is expected of me. It started out with Duplicolor red primer. Then I did gray primer on top, another coat of the red and then Cardinal Red paint. It was then wet sanded to reveal the layers and then a Testors Dullcote was applied. Then I did my strategic rust with my technique of Dullcote and chalk dust. I added strategic rust holes on the body and a body patch right before the back wheel. The single exhaust with a brass horn end comes out on the right side only. The cowl vent was opened and glued in place. People had told me that the kit body roof was too square so I tried to round it off a bit. Probably still not perfect, but good enuf!