Search the Community
Showing results for tags '1970 chevelle'.
How may times have we asked the question, " What would be your favorite muscle car? " LOL. Well, that is a question I asked my older brother (circa 1963) and his response was .... a 70' Chevelle SS jet black with with stripes, white interior, stock 454 under the hood and upgraded brakes with large 20" rims. So, off I was on a mission to do just that, build his favorite muscle car. Although AMT has some good choices in car models currently on the market, I do find their molds a real pain to work with and not very detailed. There is a lot of flashing and prominent mold lines to deal with. You will see some of these issues as I post my results of this build. The door panels had very small details and the arm rest was almost non existing. I scratch built one myself and added photo-etched window cranks. Here you can see the bucket seats and center console were molded together as one piece. I used a saw and was able to cut them out nicely. Another bad idea was the molded in driveshaft. LOL. This also was cut out and later I just used a driveshaft from my parts box. A simple method of making your own coil springs would be to use scrap wire or open up a paper clip and bend it around a round toothpic, small screwdriver shaft or lolipop stick (yes, I have little kids). These are methods I used and afterwards, paint it the color of your choice. Theses are the Pegasus 20" Chrome T's wheels & tires. The bottom corner of the rear panel is rounded off, but this is suppose to be finished squared. I glue a very small piece to the bottom of the bumper trim and was able to make it look right. The side of the bumper had to be sanded down, due to the wrinkle in the chrome. I later used the marvelous Molotow Chrome pen to finish it off. In the picture above, you will see that this kit has a 1/4 inch gap between the firewall and interior cab. This gap would still be visible once you installed the undercarriage. I used scrap clear plastic (from regular packaged items you buy at a grocery or hardware store) to build a cover and heated up a piece and molded it around the cap of my wife's nail polish bottle. It was the perfect shape for the transmission tunnel ! Below, you can see it worked fine, no gaps. You will also notice that I ran my brake lines underneath too. I will post more photos of Engine, Interior and Final assembly. Also, a few more tips for you guys as well. TCB, Adam