Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Oldsmobile Mild Custom'.
Found 1 result
'61 Oldsmobile F-85 Wagon Mild Custom
W-409 posted a topic in Model CarsI bought this kit from a Model Car Show in November. Yes, I finished it pretty fast. The plan was to build a Surf Wagon/Mild Custom and this is really a Part One of this project. I'll be building a V8 Drag Boat and Trailer, too, and the Oldsmobile will be the hauler for those. I thought about building this one with only some modifications to make it look a bit better. But when I saw the kit's interior tub, I knew that something needed to be done. After some thinking, I ended up scratchbuilding new door panels from sheet styrene. I was going to install the interior on the chassis floor, so I had to use some styrene to fill some gaps and holes from the upside of the chassis pan. Also the trunk (Floor and sidewalls) was scratchbuilt from styrene. Backseat is from Revell's '69 Nova with some styrene added, front seats come from my parts box and center console is from AMT '57 Ford with some cutting and modifying. I used flocking on the floor and painted the interior gold, as it matches well to the body color. Engine needed some modifications, too. There was a metal axle hole on the block that was so high that it almost hit the cylinder heads. I filled it, added a carburetor and did some detailing for the engine. Though, I wanted to keep it simple, because this kit's engine bay was really simplified and I didn't feel like modifying that area. That air tube on air cleaner is made from metal and I black washed the engine a bit to give it some depth. Chassis has molded in axles and everything. I kept the rear end as it is, I just installed the axles I made as low as possible. On the front I filled the axle holes on the chassis and didn't use any axles at all. I just glued the tires on correct spot once the body was installed on the chassis. Body has no body mods. It's just painted with Tamiya TS-20 Metallic Green and Clear Coat. Then I polished it, put the BMF on and made windows from acetate, since the kit parts didn't fit. Grille was detailed with paint: Detailer black wash, some paint for the chromed Headlights and flat black. It was really tricky to paint that part so, that there was no need to wipe excess paint off from the letters. Register plates are Finnish, and they don't mean "Old-51" as someone might wonder, it's "Oldsi" that is a Finnish Word for "Olds". I finished this on Friday for a Model Car show that was Yesterday. And as my surprise, it won the Custom Car class!