Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Pontiac 421 Super Duty'.
This is the AMT Pontiac Catalina from a WIP several months ago. Finally got some decent pics for an "Under Glass" post. The WIP can be found here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45830&hl= I chopped the top 1 1/2" and built a custom grille using straight pin heads on a scratch built grill shell. I also added the chrome bar across the top (under the front of the hood). The paint is air brushed Sally Hansen nail polish. The color is called "Hard to Get" although I'd describe it as burnt orange. The roof is covered in Model Masters AMC Sterling Silver metallic. Both are topped off with Tamiya rattle can clear. The AMT kit comes with 2 4-barrel carbs, but I replaced them with a Hilborn fuel injection setup. Between the injection system, manifold and various other under hood parts, there's around 140 scratch built pieces. I went with clear insulation on the plug wires, chrome wheel wells and a shaved firewall for the show car look. No photo etched parts were used.
This topic is just for Harry. He's right about all the floating alternators and generators. We've all been guilty of this for years.So, just to appease him, I scratch built a generator bracket for my 62 Catalina 421. Many kits mount the alternators and generators by nothing more than the fan belt. This kit and a few others at least add the upper adjustment bracket. To go a step further, I added the lower pivot bracket. It's not based on any particular design. I couldn't find a good image of the real bracket on a 421, so I just made up my version of a typical design cast in aluminum. This is a very simple project consisting of a scrap piece of .030" styrene card stock and two small strips of .010" square styrene rod. The long tail will eventually be cut off, but makes a great handle while I fit, drill, file and prime the part. After creating the basic shape and drilling the bolt holes, the styrene rod was laid into position and fixed with liquid styrene cement (Ambroid ProWeld). Several steps were needed to get it to fit, so the handle really came in handy. The cut-out between the bolt holes is a relief cut for the freeze plug at the end of the cylinder head. The curved indentation at the opposite end of the ribs fits nicely under the generator. Here's the finished part with the handle cut off and a coat of Model Masters Aluminum Plate. I added a couple of Grandt Line bolts to dress it up. Here's the bracket mounted in place. A big thanks to Harry for pointing this out. Not much of a tutorial needed for such a simple part, but I think it's a nice addition to a detailed engine.