Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Rat Roaster'.
Found 3 results
My next project will be another hotrod Its a very early stage, got some off the parts from the sprue and engine glued. Now looking and thinking how to make it channeled Got some colors in mind but they might change so will tell later what I decided but it will be candy.
I've only made 3 kits this year and I'm only really happy with one of them ( http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89942#entry1188849 )so I thought I'd give the Stacey David Rat Roaster a try. For this build I'll stick with kit tires and rims. I'm not real happy with the resin bomber seats I ordered for this build, so I'll stick with the kit seats, too. Here is the color I chose for the body. It's a radically different direction for me as I usually make my cars in flat colors because I'm not that great at nice, glossy paint jobs. I decided the metal interior should have the same color as the body. I drilled the holes out that had the goofy upholstery. I will mask off and paint the upholstered door panels black after a few days of drying. I decided I'd keep the firewall the same as the body color too (I never do this). This decision was based on looking at 1:1 cars in several issues of Rod & Custom magazine. The rest of the body parts have been painted the same color. I'm going for a different look this time and we'll see how it goes.
Finished up my version of Stacey David's Rat Roaster last night. Ditched the corny Moon tank and decided to go without the rear fenders but use the kit's front motorcycle fenders. I was glad to be done with this one. I disliked the "padded" interior look, so I drilled out the holes with a variable speed Dremel. I must have not followed the directions properly because the motorcycle fenders do not sit over the tires right. And for the first time in years, the back side of my headlights seemed to get crazed from what little glue I used. The tail lights are adhesive backed dots found at the craft store, pretty inexpensive, too (see below). The interior needs a little touch up on the floor area. Funny how you really only see how bad it it is until after you've taken photos. The Good: Easy to mount front headlights. Love them. The decals for the dash instruments are awesome. This is new technology to me, and seemed a much better solution than using the thinnest brush you have to paint them in. I liked the radiator parts and the detail. Very easy to set up. The small block Chevy engine is nice and looks great when you're done. Just the right amount of detail. The exhaust was nicely done and for the most part fit together well. It would have been nice to have other options (I never cared much for the gaudy headers on any rod), but I understand this isn't just a 32 Ford kit, this is essentially a kit based on a real car from a TV show and that's what they're selling. The Good: Great, rubbery tires and nice rims. Those of us that build lots of 32's always need more big 'n little tire and rim sets. The Bad: However, if I had rims and wheelbacks that fit the Revell axle and suspension, I would have used AMT whitewalls instead. Like I said, great rubber tires and the rims look nice, but why on Earth did Revell decide that a spacer needed to be glued on to the rim in order for the wheel/tire combo to be attached to the axle? A spacer is used to add space between things, in this case it was used not to add space, but to actually be able to attach the rim tot he axle. I hated this part of the kit and IMHO this should have been a non issue and the rims should already have had the spacer attached. The Good: The metal and upholstered interior is pretty cool. The Bad: It's in three sections that need to be glued to the base. Took a lot of glue, masking tape and a lot of trimming to get the interior to stay together initially in Step 5. Once placed in the body in Step 6 the glue would break and I had to set it up over again with glue. In a perfect world a one piece tub with separate seats and separate upholstery panels would have made things much better. The Bad: The front suspension and steering assembly. Brittle parts. Several pieces from my kit were broken while trying to place them correctly. When I heard Revell was kitting a new deuce and it was based on a Stacey David designed Gearz vehicleI was excited. The kit was much anticipated, and like a lot of you, I bought a couple of them. The assembly of the rims and spacers, which IMHO is a terrible and seemingly dated idea is a major disappointment for me. I'll build another one at a later point, but it will be without the kit tires and rims and likely with a Frankensteined front suspension from the parts box.