Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'chopped top'.
Found 3 results
I am waiting for some ordered parts for Salt Shaker and the custom decals I am making for the Riviera, and then the motivation to finish the decals on my Ford GT, so why not start another project? This is the AMT Pontiac Catalina. I purchased this many years ago and it has been on the storage rack just staring at me for years so the other day I picked up the box, opened it and figured, why not? So, first thing I did, which seems to be the first thing I always do with these cars is I started opening the doors. But since I planned on removing and replacing the top, I only did the doors up to about 90% since I needed the strength of the doors to hold the body together once the top is removed. Removing to the top was a snap. 4 quick cuts with the electric rotary saw and the top was gone. The only tricky part was rebuilding new "A" pillars because the curved ones would not look correct since the new roof is significantly lower than the original. I glued and puttied the new roof in place and sanded the joints smooth. Then I opened the rear window and finished the side window area. When I finished opening the doors and built hinges for them I moved on to the inside door panels. Once the hinges were secured, I cut out the inside door panels from the kit supplied interior "sides" and glued them in place. I then added plastic strips around all of the windows to represent the chrome molding which will be BMF after the car is painted. Next, I will use bondo to make the door jams and finish them. I decided to add rear wheel opening skirts. These were cut out in two layers because of the body contours and then glued and puttied in place. I am planning a light pale yellow "pearlish" flat paint and maybe some painted on white scallops to accent it. of course, the colors are always subject to change as I may see another car that inspires me to go a different color direction, but as of now, the light pale yellow is looking good in my minds eye. . This door actually fits perfectly, it is just not closed properly here. Obviously, the doors and trim still need a little work to clean them up and align the doors exactly, but all is pretty close to finished on them.P.S., that is Max who came into my workroom to annoy me to give him, and his buddy, Dexter some treats,I dechromed the front and rear bumpers as they will be molded to the body and obviously paint body color. I am planing a slightly modified air-cleaner for the engines 2 carb's and a very lowered stance. Not sure if the door handles remain or get shaved yet. Thinking of using the custom wheels from the 1965 Riviera since I have them just laying around on the workbench since I have different wheels for Riv, when I get to finish that car.
Hello all, This is my very first build thread, and my first resin kit ever built! The body is a Jimmy Flintstone body my wife got me for Christmas last year, and when the '29 Ford roadster kit came out, I knew I had a frame to use. I have started some of the cleaning up the body work. I knew that would take me a bit, and it did.