Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ford roadster'.
I got sucked into the hype and bought the new Revell 29 Roadster. The kit is extremely nice, except for the shocks. I couldn't bring myself to use them, so I had to make new ones. The nice thing is that it is fairly easy to separate the shock caps from the body. I didn't intent to do a tutorial, so some pictures are lacking, I apologize. Meh Bought a styrene rod/tube combo pack from Evergreen First I measured the lengths of the kit shocks so I know where I would need to be when done with the new ones. Choppy Choppy. i used a PE saw to carefully separate the caps from the bodies. I then carefully sanded the flat part of the shock caps flat and level. I made new bodies out of the styrene tube I made a mockup to check the overall length. Perfect I started with copper wire, but realized I would have to paint it. I tried solder, it looks like natural metal, but it's hard to handle without squishing the springs. I used the same rod as the shock bodies and wrapped it around, then straightened it out. I left them compressed like this so I could match the lengths exactly. I then carefully sanded the ends flat like normal springs. I left the solder springs on the plastic rod as a support while sanding, otherwise it would just bend all over the place Then I used the shaft of a pick to put in between the coils and spin it. This spaces the coils evenly. I also made shafts that go in inside the tube and will mount inside the holes I drilled in the caps. This way they will be sort of pinned in there with glue for a secure bond. Also, this will keep everything together and elminate the chance of any bending of the solder springs. Here is the finished mockup. I will still need to paint the bodies and caps. I wanted to do the body from Aluminum tube, but didn't have the right size. This is the right solder size for these shocks