Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'golf'.
This diorama was to make as simple a base as possible, and attempt to show motion. The pavement is just a piece of Corian (plastic kitchen/bath countertop), which is the perfect grain and color, sandblasted texture for rolled out pattern. Tire marks are pastel chalk. I made the master, and made resin copies of the cones, most are solid, a few are hollow, and for the killed cone I bent it soon after casting. The timer equipment is really simple, I could have super detailed something better. The VW Golf II GTi is the Revell kit, the alleged "Tuner series", which has horrible wheels and hideous aero parts. I used Integra wheels. I modified the bumpers to be European looking, the grill has wire mesh, added a moon roof, Evo 5 mirrors, resin Vehicross gas cap, Euro tuner green taillights, real springs on the suspension (which nobody can see), removed door handles (which are really cheap units). Painted with Boyds turquoise, with a nail 'polish' green pearl over it, and clear. The interior back seat was removed, Scale Motorsport decal on seats, figure is modified race driver. Built in 2003. I owned a '91 Jetta GLi, did some autocross, so I *had to* do the lifted rear wheel.
Decided to treat myself at Christmas and get a 1:24 model car, something to keep me busy and out of trouble. I didn't have any specific model in mind, so I nipped down to my local model shop and browsed the shelves. The MK1 VW Golf Cabriolet caught my eye and so the purchase was made. Having not done any models for a good few years I decided to just dive straight in do it the way I wanted to. I tend to learn better and quicker when I just have a go, rather than reading or watching videos. I started cutting bits out and mocking up the body. I knew I would want different wheels and lowered suspension, so I order a set of 15" banded steel wheels. When mocking the wheels on to the body it was apparent I had a slight issue with poke. The wheels came with wider rears, and to get them to fit the car nicely I would really need 2 pairs of fronts (narrower width), these along with a little trimming would fit the arches just right. So I ordered another set of the wheels. For the car colour I decided to go with a period correct red. I'm pretty pleased with the results for saying I haven't done it for a while, there are plenty of flaws with the job but I'm pleased. The wheels fit better now and look better with the matt black centres and gold bolts. Next I tackled the engine. I was thinking about getting a VW 16v turbo engine for it, but though I'd stick with the standard engine for this build. This is where I am up to in the build now, next up is the interior. Sorry for the quality of the images, will try and use my proper camera for the next lot of update images.