Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'gt-r'.
Found 4 results
Better late then never. For the 50th anniversary of the GT-R here’s my first gen Nissan GT-R build. The 21st of February 1969 was the release of the first Nissan GT-R and it was a very successful racing car. Here’s my street version. Aoshima kit with Aoshima Hayashi wheels, painted Tamiya pearl blue TS-58.
Not usually my thing to 'Pimp' a street car, but just couldn't help m'self... Aoshima kit, not a straightforward build but pretty good. Tamiya TS44 Light Gunmetal overall, A Pillars, skirts & air dams all Tamiya enamel (standard) Gunmetal. Decals plucked from an unsuspecting Revell Mitsubishi Eclipse. Wheels are after-market Aoshima's - Rays 19" GT-C's. As ever thanks for taking the time to look, all comments, abuse and questions are welcome. Next, something very, very small. Ian.
This build will hopefully take less than 10 years. Can’t promise though. 😊 Anyway….so after building that…lets call it “challenging” ABC Dino kit, I decided I needed to build something that actually fit right, didn’t have to be re-worked, and had plenty of reference material to build properly. So, old, well-fitting and nicely designed, trouble free Tamiya kit seemed like a good start, right? Wanted something simple. Picked up this R32 kit on eBay the other day - always liked these Skylines, my brother had one back in the 90’s, and I currently am seriously considering bringing one to Texas. So this felt like a good choice: The kit itself requires no introduction, it did however arrive slightly damaged, with roof squished in, and radiator support bracket snapped. Had to repair both pillars and the bracket before proceeding – turned out just fine, luckily was a clean break: Body was primed with Tamiya grey, artifacts sanded off, ready for color coat: I picked Bayside Blue for the color, had the paint from Zero Paints sitting in the box for 10 years. Stunning color. Cleared with Dupont Chromaclear. Polished with Tamiya coarse, 3M finish, and Treatment model wax for shine. Had a few tiny specs land on the clear, but luckily was able to polish those out: Then long and tedious process of cleaning up all the parts – remove parting lines, fill the sink holes, cut the burrs – you know the drill. Bunch of black and aluminum/metal parts painted: Started with the engine. It’s a nicely designed powerplant, lacking detail by modern standards, but still good. I wish they would give the lettering in the middle of the cam cover as a decal, but they didn’t, had to paint it and well… I’m not very good at detail work anymore, came out ok I guess, filled in couple of letters there. Will spare you progress shots, but here are few pix of the engine before I stuffed it into the front subframe carrier – added some minor details like fuel rail, coil pack harness, couple of vacuum hoses, some hose clamps, etc. Surprisingly good level of engraving on some parts, but then its Tamiya after all. Engine is mounted on the subframe carrier: Next, I started working on the chassis. After studying several underside pictures, I painted it with some primer showing through in the mid-section, cause most cars I saw had that portion rustproofed or some such, and it was this grey-yellowish color, so I thought that was a good way to replicate that finish. Turned out great. Decided to add some heat shielding before installing the engine and suspension: Installed front subframe and other suspension bits in the front: Same with the rear suspension/fuel tank/exhaust : Overall, I think it looks great, will still add few bits here and there, but I’m trying not to get carried away, as this was planned as a “box-stock” kinda build…. Finally, couple of the shots of the engine bay as it sits right now. A bit bare, but there are still a few additions that I plan to fill up the empty spots. There are few little bits that I have already added there – drilled out front shock mounts and added strut stocks sticking through, battery cables, etc. So this is where I am at the moment.
Been using these forums as a resource for about 2 years now and recently joined. Awesome community!! Here's my first under glass post, go easy, haha! A few pics of an Aoshima Nissan GT-R I finished a few months back. First Aoshima kit too. It's a bit orange peely and I burned through the paint on some edges while wet sanding...probably could have used a coat or 2 more of clear but it had been on the bench for a while and I was ready to move onto the next project.