Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'pumper'.
Found 3 results
This is my rendition of the Peterbilt Fire Truck in 1/25 scale by Revell of Germany. The kit represents a real pumper and my version is a bit closer to the real deal than the OOB would be. If bulit per instructions, the hood would open just a little because of the sirenes on the bumper. I placed them on a tilt panel with a piano hinge just like the real one. I also changed the engine and transmission as the real pumper is powered by a turbocharged Detroit Diesel and Allison automatic. This was followed by a change in the cab where I replaced the gear stick with a shifting column. I added some more details in the cab like the sun shades, the safety belts, a fire extinguisher and so on. The doors open on the scratch built, functional piano hinges. The crew cab is just a plain Jane as I have no idea what equipment might have been there. Also, there is no wiring around the chassis as it is hidden under the fire truck body. I added a few outter details like the instrument rims, the spanner wrenches, the fold up step, the chrome strips, the cat walks on top of the body and so on. I covered the hoses by a canvas made of aluminium foil. The chrome parts are combination of the kit´s chrome, the alclad metalizer, the Molotow chrome marker and a dull aluminium colour. The hood screen is a PE part by CTM. I also changed the tires as I don´t like the Revell´s retreaded tires. Thanks for looking.
Nice re-release from AMT. Over 100 chrome parts alone! Great tires as always too. This is the very first fire truck kit I've ever owned, pretty impressed with all the parts and detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xe7ZN-Nkxw PS, does anyone know why linking to YouTube videos doesn't work anymore? I go to insert the media link using the icon at the bottom right "Insert other media" and it just spins and spins nothing. Been like that for weeks now.
A long time ago I started to combine a Revell Snap Peterbilt 359 kit with the rear body of a Trumpeter American LaFrance pumper. My goal was to make a "short" conventional pumper using the forward rear suspension location on the Peterbilt and mock up a new, smaller pump panel. This is how the idea looked when I mocked it up a few years ago. After a few moves and some more thought, I started to get this one going again. The rear of the cab wall was fixed, the passenger side battery box was removed and a fuel tank from the AMT Peterbilt 359 wrecker was mounted there instead. The chassis was modified simply to remove the driver side stack, which required filling of those mounting holes on the cab. Then came the paint, white with red accents. Of course, after I painted the chassis and began assembly, I realized that I wanted to add a pseudo pump, and had to add that before installing the drive train. Don't look too closely, you wont see u-bolts where the pump connects to the shafts...I forgot about that. The front bumper was modified to store rolled hose, but a front mounted intake just doesn't work with this particular cab design. I'll have to convert it to a small trash line. And here's the mock up with the pumper body and pump panel. Both side intakes will have rolled hose, the officer's side will be connect, but the driver's side will not be. I did open up the grill on the snap kit, but I cheated and cut off the vertical supports. I used half round to put them back in and give the black mesh ribbon something to mount to. The bumper currently isn't attached, I had to make additional arms so that it would mount to the frame properly. I also drilled out the lights in the bumper and added sirens from the 1/32 Mack pumper kit. Regular strobe lights will be added later on in assembly. I did modify the pumper body slightly. I’m building this truck for a volunteer fire department, so water quantity is a strong requirement. The College Park ALF pumper is only designed to carry 500 gallons, I wanted 1000 gallons, but I settled for 750 gallons by raising the hose bed and replacing the back panel with diamond plate, a couple of steps, and two non-functional doors. I could have gone for more water storage, but I would have just built a new, longer body instead of recycling this one. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the body and pump panel into some primer, this humidity isn't real nice for painting this rig right now. Once everything is painted, I'll start placing the decals, make the hose load, then add all of the other little details to finish this one out. I do apologize in advance for the poor picture quality. Let me know what you think.