Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'vega funny car'.
Found 2 results
I have started a new build about a week ago of Revell's 1/16 Scale Army Vega funny car kit. I picked up this kit little over a year ago and have been anxiously waiting to start building it. Decided I couldn't wait any longer and just gonna jump into it. Been thinking for a bit of what all I wanted to do to the kit and have picked up some aftermarket items that I will be using on it. I will be posting progress pics as I go. Hope you all will enjoy the pics. With all that said let me get to it.... The Subject.... Don Prudhomme's 1974 Army Vega Funny Car FRONT VIEW: SIDE VIEW: THE KIT: The start of the build cutting the frame pieces off the trees, washed with soapy water and ready to get worked on. After putting in some hours and elbow grease on sanding and filing the mold lines. It was time to start gluing the chassis together. Cut away part of the roll cage area to fabricate a new bended piece Fabricated the new piece to go onto the frame After gluing the new piece in place Upclose of Roll Cage I have been enjoying this build and can't wait to get more progress done on it. So far I have about 10 hours put into this build at this point and felt like I was never going to be done sanding mold lines... Hopefully I will be able to make some more progress this week and will share more pics
Hello Fellas.... Well first off I am happy to say that I am finally done with this long term project. While it had its up and downs over the years as well as many set backs along the way, it is nice to finally be able to say that it is completed. When I first started on this project I thought to myself that I want to a extreme detailed build something that I had never done before and I figured that I would take a year or so to build it. For those that followed along on the work in progress know it took me much longer than that. There are many builders out there that I have looked up to over the years and I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could build something as nice as them. My mindset was that I was just going to add more detail than I have ever done on a build before, Needless to say through out this build I continued to push myself to try things I have never done before to just see if I could do it or it was possible. I had redone multiple items because either I wasn't happy with how something turned out, it didn't look right or the fact that things didn't line up or fit correct because I didn't take the time to figure out how I was going to approach something at first. A good example is when I had go back and change the ride height of the car and that the engine sat too far back in the chassis to which I had to move it forward 1/2" to get it to look like the real car. With all that said, I am really happy with the out come and I wouldn't change things because of the many lessons learned that will help me with future builds. I have been waiting to post pics of the completed build until I got some nice outside pics. First I need to take a moment to thank my dear friend John Teresi for allowing me to use the famous photo spot when he has completed his build. If you ever have seen his completed builds you will know what I am talking about. He has a park by his house that is just awesome for a Photo Shoot. I had asked him if he wouldn't mind if I used his photo spot one day to take pics of the funny car there. So a couple weeks ago I went out to Southern California for a Model Show that Mark Jones put on at a Car show at the Orange County fairgrounds call Crusin' for a Cure which is the biggest one day car show in California. Not only was he willing to let me take pics there but I have to give him the credit for the pics because he took them for me. Thank you again John Second.... I need take a moment to say a few special thanks to the following people for their help along the way of this build: -Dave Sherman – Thank you so much for all of the behind the scenes help you gave me when ever I had any drag racing question. Dave was my go to guy for questions I was unsure of. Also Thank you for being willing to machine a few of my parts that I drew up for me...Pulley’s, Fuel Distribution blocks, Distributor base and Cap. -Jim Littikin (Micro Nitro) – For Machining my rims, Hubs -John Teresi – For sharing his weathering techniques with me. -Mark Johnson – For his resin engine and for making valve covers to match the restored Army Vega F/C. -Brad Norgaard – For helping me with Decal work -Chuck Boerner – For helping me with Decal work With that said This build was started way back on 3/9/2011 and Finished on 7/29/2018. A period of over 7 years. I have well over 2300 hours into the build. It is probably more closer to 2500 considering that I didn't log any of my CAD design that I did for all of the parts that were 3D printed for this project. This build started out with Revell's 1/16th Scale Army Double kit (The Army Vega Funny Car and Army Dragster). The paint that was used was House of Kolor BC25 White, House of Kolor Euro Red, PPG Custom mixed blue and PPG Omni Plus Urethane Clear IF you guys would like I can also add a list of aftermarket items I used. Just let me know ant I will be more than happy to add them. I don't want to bore you guys anymore with me rambling on so here are the completed pics but first if you want to see the build in progress you can see it here: