Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Bonneville, Update, Done! 4/11

StevenGuthmiller

Got a start on the paint on this one today. Started with the coral color which will adorn the top, wheels & the panel between the tail lights. That is the toughest part of painting this model! I always get so nervous about masking chromed parts for painting. Even a little bit of "bleed under" & your part is ruined! Not to mention the risk of the tape pulling up chrome & that sort of thing. But the trusty BMF & Tamiya tape came through again! I wouldn't even attempt something like this anymore without these types of products! Anyway, I'm happy with the results.

Have you ever tried Silly Putty in these tough-to-mask areas? I have also used removable poster putty. I would surely have problems even with the best tape.

Yes David. With these old annuals the chrome parts are usually in rough shape so I almost always have them re-chromed. Even if the chrome is pretty good, a lot of times I just want to get rid of the mold lines. The last time I sent parts off, I got parts for 8 kits re-chromed for about $50.00. Well worth it to me!

I have to say that the price does sound very reasonable! Who do you use?

Most of the foil is actually pretty basic stuff on this one Rich, Just those long, thin, straight pieces on the fins are a little un-nerving! That's where the blue painters tape comes in real handy!

You mean that you use the tape as a guide line for the BMF? I never thought of that!

Have you ever tried Silly Putty in these tough-to-mask areas? I have also used removable poster putty. I would surely have problems even with the best tape.

Never tried that Frank. The trusty old Tamiya tape works well for me. I also use BMF for the really "tight" stuff on occasion.

Steve

WOW - THAT'S INCREDIBLE! :wub:

Thank you Frank!

Steve

I have to say that the price does sound very reasonable! Who do you use?

I send all of my parts to "Chrome Tech USA" in Madison Wisconsin. I believe he sends the parts out to be chromed, so he waits until he has a large enough batch to make it economical. They do nice work! The only draw back is a fairly long turn around time. You can plan on 6 weeks from the time they receive it. I'm almost ready to put together another batch to send out. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

Steve

You mean that you use the tape as a guide line for the BMF? I never thought of that!

Yeah Frank. Works really nice for those "undefined" trim pieces. You can either spend a lot of time & effort scribing all the trim so that you have a good edge to foil up against. Or you can use this method to get really nice straight lines. The painters tape not only gives you an edge for your blade to "ride" against, the contrast in color between the blue tape & the foil gives you good visual feedback while you're cutting.

Steve

Steven, that interior is just incredible. Painting those buckets is always a pain, but those side panels can really give you fits can't they?

Thanks Rich. Yeah, these old interior tub door panels are pretty sketchy in the detail department. If you're going to use them, you have to get a little creative with the paint to make them look remotely like a door panel. :)

Steve

Thanks everybody!!

Steve

One thing nobody here mentioned is that you can put the Tamiya tape over an item, and cut it out with an exacto blade in the same fashion you would do to BMF. That's what I do most of the time for color separations

That's what I usually do Tom. The only time I use foil for masking is if either it's an area with a pretty tight compound curve, or if I'm really concerned about bleed under. The Tamiya usually doesn't worry me much in the bleed under department, but under certain circumstances, it still will happen.

Steve

Very nice. I think the colors go together very well indeed.

Thanks Kevin! Hoping to get a few more of the bits & pieces done tonight.

Steve

if I'm really concerned about bleed under. The Tamiya usually doesn't worry me much in the bleed under department, but under certain circumstances, it still will happen.

There are guys who will first spray clear over the tape line, then color. The theory is that the clear will do the bleed under, then seal it prior to the color coat. I haven't tried it.

What I've found is that the bleed under is so insignificant that I can usually polish it away.

Just a few shots of the "almost" finished interior. Still need to add window cranks, door locks, & get the steering wheel detailed. The color looks a little "redder" in these photos than it actually is. The overall color is pretty close to the bodies top color. As a matter of fact, the lower half of the dash is painted the cars top color, & the top of the dash, the upholstery color. The stripe in the seat is a sort of "russet".

Steve

DSCN4016_zpsfuyb9asj.jpgDSCN4012_zps0beir72z.jpgDSCN4014_zpsg3lhuihn.jpg

You are the master of the interior!!!!!

Very nice interior, and a shame to hide it inside a car body! :)

Steve I know what a pain it is to work within the constraints of an interior tub from that era. Your cast parts really make the interior as they provide some depth to the door panels.

Edited by Tom Geiger

WOW,

Very nice.

Just one problem,,,,,,I think your door lock knobs are to far back .

Actually Bill, they're pretty close to where they should be. Remember, there is an "offset" between length of the inside door panel, & the door itself. Any further forward & it would have been in the middle of the door. I've learned to check these ahead of time before I drill the holes. :)

Steve

DSCN4028_zpspnmyyj3k.jpg