Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevelle Malibu Wagon Sleeper

TheRX7Project

Over the weekend I completed Revell's 1966 Chevelle Wagon. The kit itself is great, fell together with much ease. I decided to ditch the big rims and tires that came with the kit (WHAT?!?!) and go with more of a sleeper / stockish appearance. Paint is Tamiya Light Blue metallic with Pledge Floor Care for clear. Interior is Tamiya aircraft USA Intermediate Blue with ZING! blue embossing powder for carpet. I'm a little unhappy with a few mistakes I made, but I'll let you find them on your own :)

Malibu0_zpsubn2egz2.jpg

Malibu2_zpsjjtwyzkp.jpg

I swapped the big chrome wheels for some subtle but cool Rallye's.

Malibu4_zpsvnudwhog.jpg

The only external hint that there might be a little more than you expected here is the NSRA sticker in the rear windshield.

Malibu6_zps2bg3gba1.jpg

Malibu11_zps7ypmbkvo.jpg

MCG supplied the alternator bracketry, Preston's distributor.

Malibu9_zps0j9mv8sg.jpg

Malibu8_zpsr7hpgpin.jpg

What's a 4-speed without a tach and shift light?

Malibu7_zpsauaxgmcq.jpg

Hard to see in the pics, but I added seat belts. My first time ever working with them. Well worth the effort.

Malibu12_zpsxtnkxe7y.jpg

As always, comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Edited by TheRX7Project

Love the detailed work on the interior. What did you make the seat belts out of?

The seatbelts are actually MCG "Seat Belt Material" along with their PE buckles. It's more "fabric" than using ribbon, although it's also more expensive. I'm going to try to find something similar next time I'm at the craft store.

I do want to add, for those of you who haven't built this kit, it is quite well detailed from the box. Those heater hoses were actually part of the kit, and the interior isn't a "tub", so it has nicely detailed seperate panels for each side. Went together very well, minimal flashing, and they did a good job minimalizing the mold lines on the body. The chassis isn't bad either. I'd definitely recommend this kit. My only complaint is that the "glass" is a little wonky, but you could replace most of it with thin polycarbonate if you felt so inclined.

Edited by TheRX7Project