Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red little Corvette? No! Firebird Trans Am - gang

christian-w

This is a Project, I'm working on and on. I think, it started with the built of the latest Trans Am (MJ 2002). I saw one on ebay.com in red. It looked so incredible hot that I built my kit of Revell/Monogram the same way. Then the idea was born. One reason. The other reason is, that I own a 1988 Firebird Formula - my beast. I fulfilled a dream to have one in 2000. Sadly it is nowadays to expensive to drive such a piece of GMs history in Germany. The vehicle taxes are so high that I had to overthink if it's worth to pay ~600 Euros vehicle tax a year only for maybe 1000 km driving fun. Insurance not included. So I sadly de-registered the Pontiac 7 years ago and parked it in my garage.

Nevertheless I love the car. I love it to "visit" it in the garage and let it idle from time to time. My goal is to register it again in a couple of years. In 2019 would be an option because the Pontiac turns 30 and it's a historical car by law. Vehicle tax will be less then half and insurance definitely cheaper as today :)

Back to my little project. I wrote to build some Firebirds / Trans Ams of all generations on my to-do-list. I started to restore some kits or built some new. I'll show you here what I've reached so far. This thread isn't done already. When I'll have built another red Pontiac, I'll post it here.

I'll change this group picture some day.

pontiacreihe_5.jpg

Missing on the picture: 1983 Trans Am

Each model will become it's own post in the order, I've built it. Let's start...

Edited by christian-w

It followed a 1979 Pontiac TransAm Black Bird 1/25 MPC #6332
300z.jpg

I think a lot of modellers know the kit. Nothing to say about perfect fitting and so ;)

300_1.jpg

I don't know what happened with the wind shield after a couple of days
300_2.jpg
300_3.jpg
300_4.jpg
300_5.jpg

300_6.jpg
300_7.jpg
300_8.jpg
300_9.jpg

Edited by christian-w

1979 Pontiac TransAm 10th Anniv. 1/25 MPC #1-0741
299z.jpg

This was a resoration by my own bad built Trans Am. It was violett metallic and some day I was in the mood to paint it grey metallic. The paint wasn't happy with the old paint and went up. A lot of scratches and the model drove into a darker part of the shelf ;)
299_1.jpg
299_2.jpg

All right. I sanded it someday and painted it red. Another bummer. The paint was worser than bevor and because it was christmas I made a small diorama with a Pontiac in the snow.
299_3.jpg
299_4.jpg

With my experiences through the years I took it again. Stripped all the paints of and made it new. Now it's good enough for the gang ;) And I'm happy with it.
299_5.jpg
299_6.jpg
299_7.jpg
299_8.jpg
299_9.jpg

While I was building the Ponitac in the last post, I build the Trans Am too. Both. At the same time. Easily ;)

390z.jpg
AMT/ERTL: 1993 Pontiac Firebird 1/25 AMT #8610

Decals...
390_4.jpg
Hm. Decals. Why AMT puts the screaming chicken this bad on paper? After the middle part of the rear lights are painted it is unpossible to see the s.c. You can imagine it on the pictures. Not good. I don't know how this was planned....

390_16.jpg
390_17.jpg
390_19.jpg
390_20.jpg
390_21.jpg
390_22.jpg
390_23.jpg

After some modern stuff it was time to go to an older Trans Am :D
287z.jpg
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 RamAir 1/25 (Revell-Monogram #85-2342)

Some modifications where done: BMF at the window frames, lettering and logos. It worked not good at the trunk so the letters are sanded to plastic (light grey thou) But: it's ok for me. The engine got some wiring

287_18.jpg
287_19.jpg
287_20.jpg
287_21.jpg
287_22.jpg
287_23.jpg
287_25.jpg
287_27.jpg

Funny that I still haven't built a 1988 Formula :lol: But the first Trans Am of the 3rd generation. That's allright at this point :D

It is one of the following two kits. I don't know which one. Why? I got a bundle of MPC Knight Riders KITT and the body was in the package. I grabbed the rest for the Trans Am out of my spare parts box! Unbelievable but true. I swear.

1992 Pontiac Firebird GTA 1/25 AMT #6158
380z.jpg
oder 1991 Pontiac Firebird GTA 1/25 AMT #6025
382z.jpg

It turned out as I supposed: good enough for the shelf. OOB to be sure.
631_22.jpg
631_17.jpg
631_18.jpg
631_19.jpg
631_20.jpg
631_21.jpg
631_23.jpg
631_14.jpg

Again the jump to the 1st generation. I never liked the nose of this candidate. Sadly for my project I sold all my 69er T/A in the past. Built and unbuilt. So I had to get another one for my project. I bought it on ebay.com. Here it is now.

860z.jpg
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 RamAir 1/25 AMT #6123

Built OOB with BMF and some wiring. Nothing else.

860_3.jpg
860_4.jpg
860_5.jpg
860_6.jpg
860_7.jpg
860_9.jpg
860_10.jpg
860_11.jpg
860_2.jpg

Edited by christian-w

After a break of two years I build the 1983 Trans Am.

309z.jpg
1982 Pontiac Firebird 1/25 MPC #1-0808

When I bought it, it had some damages at the sides. and the roof was deformed....
309_02.jpg
309_03.jpg

...and one of the bumper inlays was missing. So I made both sides by my own.
309_27.jpg
309_28.jpg

309_16.jpg
309_21.jpg
309_22.jpg
309_13.jpg
309_15.jpg

Thank you for your kind words :) Since I own a Formula (sadly not in that good shape like the model kits but still original) I'm a big fan of it. I fulfilled a dream and still love it. I'd say: it's the most unnecessary "thing" on German roads but it's so awesome cool and the sheer power always gives me a smile on my face. I'm looking so badly forward to get my Bird on the road again when it turns 30 years....

p002.jpg

@Jonathan .. When I'm right: is that a Formula in your signature? This hood and car would be cool to in the line.

Thanks Andre, Stray and Tom! One "problem" of the model kit is the space in my display cabinet. Because they aren't wide enough, they are divided into two cabinets but in the same high ;)

Tom, you are right. My Formula was produced for export (EXP) and has no mileage or °F on it's instrument. It has kilometers and °C (U18). When you look at the picture you'll notice the little white lights at the bottom corner in the bumper. This is because it wasn't allowed to have amber parking lights at the front in Germany. The light bulbs in the sidemarkers, 3rd breaklight and both middle rear light were taken out. Funny. It was the first, I made: make him American B)

The condition is pretty good except the faded paint. Some dents and little rust spots were here and there but I sanded and preserved it against more rusting. What else will I say to it? It's original all over like it's written on the RPO Codes sticker. No power windows, no power mirrors, but 5.0 TPI (LB9). The rear deck spoiler is built back to the airowing. It's cool anyway :wub: