Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the longest you have taken on a build?

Let's see...

I started building on a more adult level about 1987, when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

I graduated high school in 1993.

About two years ago, I dug out the 1965 Riviera I started my freshman year of high school, which was 1989.

I'm still poking at it.

And there might be a few others, too.

Charlie Larkin

I can't beat 2 on here, but do have several that are LONG time Stalled!!

Bought New Prestiege 63 Galaxie Sportsroof

Started and stalled at deciding paint color. She Is in Primer though!!
Her twin same kit but Cut to a Convertible wwith a Very customized original kit body windshield frame

Also stalled at Paint color

a 63 Impala, and 65 Grand Prix & Bonneville from the same series All bought shortly after issue

When was that?? Early-mid 80's??

I do have 2 Nomad's an AMT 55 and a Rev 57 I built years ago in Resto, but

I don't count the original build date on those 55 was 79-80 (I was living on Neville Island

at the time I bough her, and 57 was 72-75 time frame.

They were completed then. I just decided to redo them. (BMF etc)

anglia_rightfront-vi.jpg

This Anglia was started by me in 1973 or 1974. It's still not finished but the Testors paint is just about dry! :P This one doesn't count because there were many years that I wasn't a modeler.

IMG_1766Copy-vi.jpg

The Volare messenger car was started in 1988 and I finished it this January. This one does count since I have consistently been a modeler, and pulled it out to complete a few steps every few years. So 27 years.

You just reminded me that I have an original, first-issue JoHan '66 Marlin that I painted in the late '60s. Someday soon I should dig that thing out and finish it.

The paint is AMT Surf Green (similar to '68-'69 Pontiac Verdoro Green) with gold two-toning. I need to figure out where I want to go with it from here. :wacko:

This one doesn't count because there were many years that I wasn't a modeler.

The Volare messenger car was started in 1988 and I finished it this January. This one does count since I have consistently been a modeler, and pulled it out to complete a few steps every few years. So 27 years.

OK .. Tom's defining LONGEST as time while you were still modeling. Since I'm one of those that took about 30 years off I'll renege the '49 Ford, and up a '49 Merc that is all chopped with a rounded grill opening made by casting the bottom half in epoxy circa 1994 more or less. That's only 21 years .. but it's still in it's box trying for a record! :lol::D:o

Edited by Foxer

Lets see ... there's a '49 Ford that's chopped, channeled and sectioned and has extensive custom bodywork .. I started it in 1963 and it's still on the bench, but I don't know where ...

That is truly amazing. I have a 49 merc I started on in 1963 (duel headlights, painted whitewall slicks, etc.) that will probably NEVER be finished. I did things on it back then that to this day I have no idea how I did. I look at at it every now and then and put the parts back in the well worn box. It is now almost a shrine . Richard

I started this 1961 Ford Styline back in 1961:

DWPWeb25.jpg

And this is what it looks like 54 years later:

DWPWeb27.jpg

DWPWeb26.jpg

And yes, I have been a modeler all 54 years. A 1:32 slot car modeler:

SlotCa8.gif

A 1:48, 1:160, 1:87 and 1:24 railroad modeler (that is me in the yellow shirt with the train controller):

ldp201109012.jpg

A 1:8, 1:10 and 1:24 radio control modeler (yep, that is a 'Rusteze Bumper Oinment' sponsor decal on the side pod):

2012-09-01-09.52.32w.jpg

A 1:24 mag steer modeler (the Caddy):

mag_steer_001.JPG

And a 1:24 scale 3D print modeler:

2013-08-22-22.07.03w.jpg

And the craziest part of it all? I still plan to finish that 1961 Ford in this life time. :D

A lot o' you have me beat. The oldest I have is an AMT original Hull Raiser ('67 if I remember correctly) - yeah, I know it's a boat, but it is a hot rod kinda. The engine was done, but it needs some TLC. I used magnet wire (!) and telephone hook-up wire for a lot of the plumbing - no good aftermarket alternatives then. It will get finished eventually................

My longest of continuous building was a little over three and a half years of continuous building. Well, it was on the bench and different subassemblies were in progress all the time. I didn't work on it for short periods of time(less than a week) because life intervened. Also one of my best builds.

Leftfrontquarter.jpg

leftside.jpg

spareengine.jpg

cockpitfromleft.jpg