Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Packard V12... a classy blast from the past

Harry P.

One of the all-time classy American cars. Back in the day, if you drove a Packard, you were probably a successful lawyer, doctor, business executive, etc. Definitely a "mover and shaker." They were pricey, classy cars for people who could afford the best. This is the Entex kit, 1/16 scale.

packard_zps026fb045.jpg

A very nice kit… today's kits should be so well engineered! Everything you see in these photos is from the kit with the exception of the windshield, which I cut from Lexan to replace the kit piece, which had a swirl in the plastic.

This kit is fabulous… no flash to speak of, parts fit is precise, the engineering is impeccable… the parts just fit, period. The level of detail (and parts count) is very high, and the engraved details on the parts is of the highest standard. Especially noteworthy is the engraved detail on the seat… the wrinkles in the "leather" are very convincing,

PROS: Superbly engineered kit, high level of detail, great parts fit, very sharp and clean detail on parts. Option of convertible boot or up top, operating luggage rack with separate trunk,

CONS: Doors don't open far enough, frame construction is tricky due to many individual pieces, some of which could have been molded together to make assembly easier. Hood assembly is also tricky due to the tiny, separate hinge pieces that have to be glued in the exactly correct spot in order for the hood to open properly.

I used Krylon "Short Cuts" Antique Bronze on the body, with Future as a clear coat...

packard1_zpsicag5ims.jpg

I painted the wheels red, just because I like the look of the red wheels against the wide whites and the body color. Not "factory correct," but it's my model, so I do it my way! ;)

packard6_zpsl6rvijrw.jpg

packard2_zpsk9jdtmgf.jpg

packard7_zpsfjjfctvy.jpg

packard4_zpsbioboat8.jpg

I like your praise of the kit as i have the exact same one under the bench for "one day".

You have done another superb job, and i really like the color combo you have gone with, the red roof and wheels , i think make it stand out nicely.

wow really nice to see something different. Love the build and the quality looks top notch. The little kit sum up is a nice touch.

It even looks like the armrests in that dickie seat fold in when it closes yeah? Is that hinged automatically or do you have to lift them out separately?

wow really nice to see something different. Love the build and the quality looks top notch. The little kit sum up is a nice touch.

It even looks like the armrests in that dickie seat fold in when it closes yeah? Is that hinged automatically or do you have to lift them out separately?

On the real car the armrests fold under... on the model they don't. You have to place them in little locating holes if you want to pose the model with the seat open.