Model Cars Magazine Forum

Make your own foil.

Jim, what brand of spray glue do you use?

I mostly use the Dollar Store "Elmers" spray glue which runs around here at 4.50 a can. But I guess you could use any kind of spray glue. I just pick which side I want either dull or shinny an spray the opposite side with the glue, wait about 5 minutes for the glue to get tacky. Cut a chunk big enough for the area I'm working in an start at the center point an work out in both directions with foil with a q-tip or my finger. If the glue on the sheet drys or gets to untacky for you, just give it another light coat is all of spray glue.

I've been wanting to try this, but have been concerned about glue residue on the paint next to the trim. Has anyone encountered a problem with it, and if so do you do anything special to clean it off?

Yeah, that's my concern as well.

16810869688_f4ea1c7ec7_c.jpg

I see quite a bit of glue residue above the edge of the top chrome spear on the quarter panel and above the drip rail. I've never had that problem with BMF. I can get BMF shipped directly for around $10-$11 ($8 if I buy it in person) and can foil around eight or ten models with a full sheet easily. To me, that's not much money per model especially when other details come in to play like paint, photo etch, ignition wiring, etc.

I see quite a bit of glue residue above the edge of the top chrome spear on the quarter panel and above the drip rail. I've never had that problem with BMF. I can get BMF shipped directly for around $10-$11 ($8 if I buy it in person) and can foil around eight or ten models with a full sheet easily. To me, that's not much money per model especially when other details come in to play like paint, photo etch, ignition wiring, etc.

yes, I just didn't wipe the residue with a wet cloth. It will come off with ease.

I never said anything about the price of BMF, I said about it's poor quality. The last sheets I got are so full of orange peel I can't use them. If the foil you get is not really bad, they are sending the bad stuff overseas. In either case, I won't give them a dime anymore.

Ok gentlemen, I asked a friend of mine that does craft work on statues and art work in general about the glue. He is Brazilian and is making a post graduation course in the U.S. He told me the product called "Mona Lisa Metal Leaf Adhesive" is the very same product I'm using. Water base, brush on the back of the foil, and in about 10 to 15 minutes it gets tacky.

It's available through Amazon at this link...

http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Mona-2-Ounce-Metal-Adhesive/dp/B00083KPCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428337918&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+leaf+adhesive

Well, here's one U.S. supplier for the foil:

https://www.confectioneryhouse.com/candies/6-x-7-in-silver-foil-candy-wrappers

$9.99 for 125 6" x 7" sheets plus minimum $7.15 to ship here (If you're lucky enough to be in Troy, NY you can pick it up over their counter for $2.50).

On eBay, 125 5 1/2" x 7 1/4": $9.99 plus $2.50 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Candy-Foil-Wrappers-Confectionery-Foil-125-count-/151009600518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2328dfa406

Note the specification on both: .00045 gauge. Wonder how that compares to BMF and regular household foil?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Well, here's one U.S. supplier for the foil:

https://www.confectioneryhouse.com/candies/6-x-7-in-silver-foil-candy-wrappers

$9.99 for 125 6" x 7" sheets plus minimum $7.15 to ship here (If you're lucky enough to be in Troy, NY you can pick it up over their counter for $2.50).

On eBay, 125 5 1/2" x 7 1/4": $9.99 plus $2.50 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Candy-Foil-Wrappers-Confectionery-Foil-125-count-/151009600518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2328dfa406

Note the specification on both: .00045 gauge. Wonder how that compares to BMF and regular household foil?

I think if you go to a supply store that works with packagings you can find that a lot cheaper.

The kind of store that sells that plastic forks and knives, discardable plates, transparent packaging for cakes, plastic and silicon molds for chocolate bars, chocolate bar or chocolate eggs (in case of this time of the year) wrapping foil (that's what you want to buy!!).

Near my house there is one of those stores, called House of Packaging and Food Supplies. It's the kind of store you go if you happen to be making candy for sale. There they have the foil I got, and many different sizes, even big rolls.

I looked for it this morning at the local Michaels. Their computer listed it as discontinued. I guess I'll try the stuff at HL. Too bad it's $5.99 vs. $3.99 at Michaels.

That's cheaper than the cost of a sheet of BMF, and aluminum foil of lesser quality should be cheap, too. Maybe together, they might add up to the cost of one sheet, for a much larger quantity.

I gotta try this method.

That foil is applied to a pre-painted kit. What looks like residue might have been caused by masking at the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

Tulio, That's a great tip, probably one of the best of the best that I have seen in many years of modeling. I once used a spray spray on contact cement product to glue household foil onto a Weird-Ohs Freddy Flameout plane. It worked, but had some of those same blemishes that you point out BMF having. I do remember some of the very early BMF having some blemish issues until they got the adhesive issues corrected. I don't know why it never dawned on me that regular acrylic Elmer's glue wouldn't work. I have been in awe of your amazing Ford based models for some time, you experiment with some things some of us don't look at and wonder why it wouldn't work, obviously for you it's paying off handsomely!

P.S. I also love your English as a Second, (possibly more) Language Accent, proves to me that you are no stranger to hard work! For that you should be commended, (my wife is a Teacher so I recognize hose things too).

Edited by Skip

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the Micro-Scale adhesive on kitchen foil a few years ago when money was REAL tight- it was okay, but I like the idea of the candy-wrapper.

And the eBay links Chris gave us are for a place down in Rhode Island- not too far at all.

Very good way to try this again. I think I will- BMF has become expensive, and like Tullio, I've become less happy with it.

Charlie Larkin

I just scored a pack of "Metallic Tissue" from Party City locally. As you can see by the pic, it's pretty shiny and you get twelve 20" x 24" sheets for $4.99 plus tax. I'm concerned about running out. :lol:

I measured the thickness and it's about 0.5 mils thick, as well as I can measure it. BMF measures about twice that thick. Also have a small bottle of Metal Leaf Adhesive I got from HL. We'll see how it works.

post-9974-0-34064000-1430427608_thumb.jp

Edited by Miatatom

I found some 4"X4" foil candy wrappers at Michaels in the cake/candy making isle 50 sheets for $3 and some change . Its definitely thinner than regular kitchen foil . I haven't tried it out yet but I will .

I found some 4"X4" foil candy wrappers at Michaels in the cake/candy making isle 50 sheets for $3 and some change . Its definitely thinner than regular kitchen foil . I haven't tried it out yet but I will .

On your suggestion, I bought some of this today. I think it's thinner than the name-brand kitchen foil like Reynolds Wrap, but I've got cheap generic kitchen foil that seems about the same.

It has a "shiny" side and a duller side.

I don't think it will take compound curves or superfine detail as well as BMF, but it'll work pretty good for a lot of things. I'll be using it, at any rate.

For those of you who already have a roll of cheap generic foil in your toolbox, DON'T go out of your way to a Michaels (like to the next town, or whatever) for this.

But who knows? I might have a higher opinion of the stuff after I've actually used it. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...