Model Cars Magazine Forum

Body paint stand

Just be careful to secure the body on the coathanger. Dropped a body painting the rockers twice. Yes I lost it and stepped on it.

That's a big YES! Having to tape is one reason I tried those other stands. The Tamiya stand (top left) is the worst because the top doesn't lock onto the bottom part. I've ruined more than one paint job with that ill designed stand.

I use the blue one.I have taken some soft plastic tubing and put over the part that touches the body.

It helps keep the body from moving.

Also,bending them outward puts pressure on the sides to hold it.

Just don't put so much pressure that you warp the body as you are painting it.

Edited by gbdolfans

I have used both the "coat hanger" method and the Tamiya stand. What I may be doing different is that I will tape the contact arms to the inside of the body. This way they will stay put and not fall off. Its worked for me anyway.

Just be careful to secure the body on the coathanger. Dropped a body painting the rockers twice. Yes I lost it and stepped on it.

That's when you calmly place the remaining parts back in the box, close it, then take it outside and drop kick it across the street

That's when you calmly place the remaining parts back in the box, close it, then take it outside and drop kick it across the street

I did not step on until the second time I dropped the same body. Never did try a redew of the Bill Elliott Tbird. Years ago I do not step on them anymore , for now.

I tend to use solo cups. Crack the lip of the cup and it will adjust to the size of the body and usually fit securely.

Interesting .. are they a plastic cup? I'm surprised they exert enough tension against the body to secure it. I'm not familiar with "solo cups".

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting .. are they a plastic cup? I'm surprised they exert enough tension against the body to secure it. I'm not familiar with "solo cups".

Next time you're at Big Y or Price Chopper, Mike, check the plastic-ware aisle, you'll find them there.

As I remember, there's a Wal-Mart out your way someplace, they usually have them at good prices.

I've been using the Tamiya stand with mixed results. I purchased a Little Motor Kar Ko. stand at NNL-East, and I'm going to be trying it. It feels like it'll be much more secure.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

I'd think they would be a little light to balance a newly painter body on. I can see they would be a large cup, but I'd be a little nervous. Maybe just need some beer to weigh it down. :P

Been listening to Toby Keith a bit lately, eh, Mike? :)

Charlie Larkin

Been listening to Toby Keith a bit lately, eh, Mike? :)

Charlie Larkin

Never heard of him .. had to Google and right there I knew why .. country beer drinker I guess .. :lol:

I doubt he knows what Sam Adams is though .. unfortunate. .. prolly drinks that bottled water .. Bud

Edited by Foxer

• 7 months later...