Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Cutdown New Pix

James2

Here is a look at the Finn's car norwood058.jpg

I will be doing this car in 1/8 scale this spring! The black car in the back ground is what inspired me for this build...

From what I have learned these cars raced in New York state mostly, back in the fifties. At tracks like the Pines and Westboro. Very light for the day and very dangerous to drive...

If your interrested there is a book by Lew Boyd called "Hot cars and Cool drivers" that tells the whole colorful story!

Visit this Website There is great info and really good people there.

Edited by JAMES2

This is what they called a Cutdown, back in the day...

cody014.jpg

cody016.jpg

Copyofcody006.jpg

cody006.jpg

Narrowed frame, 1/4'rd body, scratch built roll bar and suspension parts and alot of parts box mix and match. It will be white and green.

"This is what they called a Cutdown, back in the day..."

ACTUALLY, 'Cutdowns' were the description of Model T's that were stripped and underslung, long before the Model A's and '32s were manufactured. 'Hot Rod' was the next buzzword, and we Californians suffered for it. Police were bent to write tickets for no fenders, and eben confiscate 'cutdowns' and 'hot rods', to put a stop to street racing.

Nice to see that some Racing concerns picked up the term.

This is what they called a Cutdown, back in the day...

cody014.jpg

cody016.jpg

Copyofcody006.jpg

cody006.jpg

Narrowed frame, 1/4'rd body, scratch built roll bar and suspension parts and alot of parts box mix and match. It will be white and green.

"This is what they called a Cutdown, back in the day..."

ACTUALLY, 'Cutdowns' were the description of Model T's that were stripped and underslung, long before the Model A's and '32s were manufactured. 'Hot Rod' was the next buzzword, and we Californians suffered for it. Police were bent to write tickets for no fenders, and eben confiscate 'cutdowns' and 'hot rods', to put a stop to street racing.

Nice to see that some Racing concerns picked up the term.

Thanks for the info, Mike. These cars were mainly from the western N.Y. area and they race in the mid to late 50's. I think in reality they where cut up jalopies. With most guys switching from Flatheads, to small blocks. Some of the ran the potent "Crossfire" flatties! The race cars were very light and dangerous to drive. Quite a few men lost thier lives in cars like these.

You can see my finished version in "Underglass"