Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police Chase training car

Scalper

I got laid of work on Thursday.. kinda still in shock. but I have a job interview this morning.

Started working on this to clear my mind.

this is the revel snap kit caprice. I got it for 3 bucks.. The body was already painted not the greatest paint job but it will work for this.

I am building a training chase car.. The interior will be stripped of the usual police stuff. It will only have a light bar and siren for chase training.

I have most of that parts painted in the last few days. should go together pretty quick now.

IMG_4441_zpsimrvvoyd.jpg

IMG_4442_zps6aloo6oy.jpg

IMG_4443_zps7zys9wex.jpg

Thanks for looking. all comments welcomed.

Good luck with the job!

The car's looking good. A couple of tips if I may?

EVOC cars were usually rotated from the street fleet to the academy training fleet. Dents dings and not so shiny paint are the norm.

No wheel covers. Aggressive driving tossed them off anyway.

Quite often we took off the door decals. About the only thing on these that said "POLICE" were the license plates.

Engines and drivetrains were meticulously maintained as were brakes, shocks and tires.

Certain cars were "modified" so much they were marked "For track use only". I'll leave that to your imagination......................

About 1 in 3 had some form of lights/siren combo for instructional purposes.

Hope that helps!

G

I wonder if the back ground check will reveal that you're a model builder!

Lol I told them that I pay attention to detail. I'm a model builder.

They liked it.

Thanks agentG I was thinking of steelies. But I'm not sure if I have any.

For a real eye catcher paint the right side steelies half white and half black. It was a way for the trainers standing trackside to observe how well the trainees reacted to hard braking. Pre ABS days you had to have a sensitive foot to prevent lock up.

If you dont have steel wheels, just use the full wheel covers. No hard and fast rules for these!

I might be prejudiced but, I'll take any model builder, home craftsman or shop tinkerer any day. Sometimes, attention to detail keeps my people alive.

G

Sorry to hear about the layoff. I've been there and I know it's not fun, but I did get a lot of building done (and, the house was really clean!). Good luck with your job search- something good will come along when you least expect it.

• 1 month later...