Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air from Return to Macon County

Atmobil

After another round of sanding I thought I really had seen the last of the trim on the back but after a new layer of primer it was back again. Now the body has gone in the brakefluid bath and after that I will use filler and try to cover it over that way.

Here is a few updatepics on how the project is coming along:

The trunk/luggage compartment. I have glued the rear wall behind the rearseat inplace but the sidepanel is in the picture only put there to show how it is going to look.

IMG_6854.jpg

The exhaust is done and the rear axel with springs is in place
IMG_6855.jpg
I think it looks strange with all being white under there and it is only my guess that it was this way on the moviecar.

Engine is started. I painted the block with cylinderheads, intake and oilpan in the color I had that I think matches chevy engine red the closest. I think the movie car possibly could have had chrome valvecovers (despite not being able to see them in the film) so I will find some that will fit in my partsbox
IMG_6860.jpg

And here is the body in color!
IMG_6862.jpg
This is what the Rape Yellow looks like on the body, I think it looks quite right.

Thank you very much :)

Well, I was thinking of doing more work on the engine and then remembered that there was a lot of small parts not having been painted yet so I spent some time on painting parts like the distributorcap, startermotor, fan, belts and pulleys and so on. But I did manage to put two parts on the engine aswell.

I can't make out what valvecovers are on the enigne in the movie but since there is a lot of other chromebits on it I figured they have put chromevalvecovers on aswell. I found a couple that matched the size in my partsbox and glued them in place.

IMG_6871.jpg

Yes, it is more and more evident that the performanceparts on the engine is fake movieprops so that is what I'm going to make aswell. The engine it self will be box stock but with the extra movieprop bits on top just like it looks like in the movie:)

Thank you :)

Here is another small update, I have started to modify the Paxton parts from AMT 57 Ford so that it will look like the setup in the movie. Modified part on the top left with what I have sawed off it at the bottom right and original AMT 57 Ford part on the top right. On the bottom left is the heaterfan box from the kit that I will modify to look like the "supercharger" in the movie.

I have also built up most of the engine, will add plugwires later.

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday there was a meeting at out local modelling club and I used the time to install the plugwires.

I have also found extra instruments to put on the dash, they are still not glued in place but in the picture you see how it will look. Not exactly like the film but close enough.

I decided to polish the paint even when the movie car does not look all that shiny in the movie.

Ok, I need soom hints and tips on how to replicate the flames on the moviecar. I have tried to make templates from the screengrabs but it is difficult to get it to a good enough resolution so that it can be printed out. Anyone got any tips on any other way of doing it? Maybe there is flames in another kit that looks similar enough?

The car is now sitting on its wheels for the first time.

The clamps at the front are there too keep the body on the frame so I could see that it sits right. I have lowered it slightly in front by turning the spindles upside down and the front tires are smaller than the rear ones. The rear rims are also wider than the front ones. With the hubcaps that are going on it I think this will look good.