Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air cleaner decals

Any advice on how to get these decals to lay down? I'm talking about the ones on Mopars, like "440 Magnum" where a flat decal has to conform to a cone shaped air cleaner. I asked this question once before, and got some very good advice: Use decal set and a cloth soaked in hot water to press it down. This almost works for me, but I still get at least one tiny wrinkle. I have tried Micro-Set and Testors Decal Set. I have not tried Micro-Sol, which I understand is stronger. Is that the answer, or is it just "operator error"? TIA

I'd definitely try Micro-Sol .. it is for the tough ones. I only use Set for initial placement and Sol thereafter when the decal doesn't conform. Use more than once, but don't touch the decal and let it dry before applying again. Sometimes I'll cut a slit in a stubborn decal and then more Sol. Sometimes just a pin BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH will allow any trapped air out.

Best of luck with this one ..

Any advice on how to get these decals to lay down? I'm talking about the ones on Mopars, like "440 Magnum" where a flat decal has to conform to a cone shaped air cleaner. I asked this question once before, and got some very good advice: Use decal set and a cloth soaked in hot water to press it down. This almost works for me, but I still get at least one tiny wrinkle. I have tried Micro-Set and Testors Decal Set. I have not tried Micro-Sol, which I understand is stronger. Is that the answer, or is it just "operator error"? TIA

First of all, is the air cleaner chromed? If so, I would add to the other comments that you should carefully remove the clear border decal around the design. No matter what I do, it still shows on a chromed surface and makes it appear less like it's been painted on.

BTW, MicroSolv may be "stronger"... but it sure could be a lot stronger for me - I'm curently working on eliminating folds in my Baldwin Motion Camaro's hood decals! It's been a couple of days already and they're still very noticeable!

For the 440 air cleaner, I cut it as close to the printed part as I could then cut on either side of the "Magnum" text, making two "C"-shaped decals. These conformed to the conical air cleaner with no problem...just a little fiddling to make sure the two halves lined up nicely.

Thanks, guys. I do cut the clear border away, it even shows up on a black air cleaner. I also cut out the center where the wingnut is.

Bill, I like the idea of cutting it into two decals. I thought of that, but I was afraid it would end up too small. I will definitely try that..

I will get some Micro-Sol. I will have to wait until I can get to my LHS, which is not very often. If it's a month before I get it, would it still work on the decal I have already applied? I'd like to get that one last wrinkle!