Model Cars Magazine Forum

'90 Mercury cougar

Modelmikey

We all have that one kit that doesn't want to be finished, this one was it for me. It started as a '92 cougar but I had a reaction with the paint and it etched the body. Odd thing is it was Duplicolor flat black over duplicolor sandable primer, sprayed that combo before and after no problems. I did spray it on a super hot day, so I guess thats why. Anyway....

Here is a inprogress thread

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86394&hl=cougar

I picked up a '90 body off of ebay, and kept on. Kit is actually well detailed and went together good. Not my first taste in car, but was convinced to build it. Should be a better flat black, but actually looks like faded/peeling clear, which suits me fine. The wheels are actually aluminum, with F&F eclipse tires up front, supra tires in the back, and I made the short cherry bomb mufflers. I scrach built a intake with cone muffler.

unnamed5_zpsrljicnzg.jpg

unnamed2_zpslmoqsp2p.jpg

unnamed4_zpsp255vfgf.jpg

unnamed_zpssymtj8bw.jpg

unnamed3_zpsj7cbexef.jpg

Edited by Modelmikey

Interesting. I currently drive a '95 XR7, and the body style changed little. I like the exhaust; I'm considering Flowmasters for mine right now.

The fella who wanted me to build this had a '95. The hood/grill seems to be the only difference between this and the '92 that I started with.

Must be something about this kit - I had one fight me, and ended up under a tarp in the back of a garage diorama. Nice work getting this one finished!

One thing I have to add is (although I don't think people are building this in mass numbers) is DON'T glue the front bumper on until final assembly, it makes putting the floor in a huge pain, I cracked the right front fender in the process, not much give/stretch.

• 2 weeks later...