Model Cars Magazine Forum

Geographically Unique Trucks

Post your models and 1:1 trucks that are unique to a certain area of the country.

These can be unique because of state laws or commodities transported, like Michigan gravel trains or California hay haulers.

It is neat when traveling the country to see certain trucks you only see in certain places, and also to realize the stuff you see daily (and get bored of) might actually be unique to your area.

Well, down here in my neck of the woods there really isnt anything specialized to the region. Its always been a mixture of east coast and west coast style trucks. There are more Pete 379s pulling gravel trailers than anything else. A geographically unique truck that I would like to build though, is an Australian Mack R800. I think it looks so much cooler than the American RD800 or the DM800.

D222BFB7-F753-49EC-A8CD-3DEBD6C9D222_zps

^Somewhere around this dump I've got an Airfix 1:35 DUKW I'm planning to build as a "duck tour" vehicle.

BDT still has one original WWII DUKW that is used only for special events such as parades.

I have no idea how common these rigs are elsewhere, but I see these all the time:

IMG_0591%2BFL.jpg

The most common setup around here, however, is a B-train tanker. There is a potash mine about 45 minutes from here that has a major water infiltration problem and they are trucking brine out of there to the bay here. One comes up the off-ramp behind my neighbourhood about every 20 minutes or so. In fact, one of them took a turn too fast yesterday and flipped. I can't find any good pictures right now of the setup, but if you do an image search for Seaboard/Harmac you'll get an idea of their rigs.

Some of you in the eastern 1/2 of the continent may have heard of "Irving" as in gas stations etc. but some may not know they used to build their own trucks.

Scot trucks were a pretty common sight here in the Maritimes and eastern Canada.

88e12c88-aac4-4f47-9b38-fdf7.jpg

7908_Scot_Midland.JPG

Some of you in the eastern 1/2 of the continent may have heard of "Irving" as in gas stations etc. but some may not know they used to build their own trucks.

Scot trucks were a pretty common sight here in the Maritimes and eastern Canada.

I remember these!

Really cool to see trucks you don't see everyday. Man, those Cali Hay Wagons are sweet! Here's one from around here:

A Michigan Tanker - 42 wheeler

42wheeler_zpse6vyqgbt.jpg

Call me naive, but why does Michigan require so many axles? Is it simply to distribute the weight of the load so the roads take less abuse?