Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post your oldest model picture

In the spirit of this thread, here's a photo of a Christmas stash of mine from long ago. I'm guesstimating this was taken around 40 years ago or thereabouts. In a touch of irony, that same card table, is what my computer is sitting on at this very moment.

img420_zpsbt7pytsk.jpg

Mike - So many cool things going on in the picture. Classic. Looks like Dad is working on a 32 by the shape of the fenders.

Kevin - Christmas and Birthdays always expanded my stash - soon to be built ASAP. That was when box art was ART.

Thanks for posting!

Scott

OK. Sorry to go OT - but is anyone else noticing Photobucket images are taking forever to load on the page? They're doing the same thing on another (aviation) forum I go to a lot.

ETA: Just tried it on Chrome as well - still no go.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

These are scans from 110 (?) It was the flat, long camera that produced 4 inch square pictures, anyway. This is about 1985, when I started making Road Warrior inspired models. I set up a diorama in the backyard and took blurry photos.

Fujimi Mad Police Destroyer, and a Monogram(?) Plymout Sattelite

001_zpsxphne95b.jpg

Female figure from the Destroyer, and 1/32 funny car drivers I used for short people :rolleyes:

003_zps4ozs3zfj.jpg

Revell Captain Hook wrecker

005_zpsshvrxitd.jpg

Revell Toyota 4x4 with 4 different paintjobs submerged in a stream.

006_zpsrzvey9bd.jpg

Better :rolleyes: shot of the Sattelite. I bought a 1/35 Tamiya weapons pack and glued weapons on it. The hood scoops are seat risers from an AMT Ford Van.

004_zps1lenpzes.jpg

Woman from the Destroyer

002_zpsm2cnwhv8.jpg

Out of all of this, only the Destroyer survives and has since been restored, with different decals.

Edited by Zarana-X

Parts Pack madness viewed through an Instamatic. Revell chromed dragster chassis with the body painted black directly onto the chrome... All the paint on these models was hand brushed enamel. I had just discovered the wonders of rubbing compound and Simoniz. Glory be! They can be dated from whenever these models and parts packs were first available. The transporter thingy was made from card stock and sprue and the motorcycle barely visible is a Revell (?) Parts Pack Triumph (?) with the road racing body shell. I have earlier pictures of an Aurora (?) Cunningham and Ferrari but they're far too small and blurry to reproduce here.

Models-Old-Dragster-3-web.jpg
Models-Old-Dragster-1-web.jpg
Models-Old-Dragster-2-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

In the spirit of this thread, here's a photo of a Christmas stash of mine from long ago. I'm guesstimating this was taken around 40 years ago or thereabouts. In a touch of irony, that same card table, is what my computer is sitting on at this very moment.

img420_zpsbt7pytsk.jpg

That was a nice Christmas haul!

I'm kind of curious as to what happened to all of these old models.

I suppose they met the same fate as mine. I gave some away,threw some away,others were parted out for other builds,and then thrown away. Over 50 years worth. Ack!

One of my biggest (current) regrets, is throwing away the remains of an AMT 32 Ford Phaeton a few months ago. I was in the process of moving at the time, and was not into cars then at all, so with so much other stuff being moved and/or stored, I had to draw the line somewhere. Darn shame, as I always liked that car, and had kept it for many, many years.

I wish I would have kept all the others too. Like John, some were destroyed. Many met their fate one day when my older brother and I were bored and used beach towels to snap them to pieces. Many were just taken apart and put in the parts box. Some were given or traded away. I might have even buried a couple in the front yard. I burned a few to the ground as well. Boredom can be hard on car models.

I still have three of the originals and the pieces of another.

#1 survived best. A second issue Horntoad. Just a I built it in 74. A little of the chrome is off because I was unaware the chrome stripping abilities of Fantastik.

#2 is a scratch built trike with a VW engine from the Sand Crab that is 95% percent there with only a few broken pieces. The body is built from plastic light panels and brush painted testers little bottle dark blue.

#3 is the Thames panel from the 70s. I rebuilt it for the last times in 87 or so.

The pieces I had left were from the Young American. Glad to see that one reissued.

Bernard, Sam, and Tom - Great pics. I always like looking into the background to get the feel of the times. Even the lighting and tint adds to the nostalgia of it all. The models look like they are well built too.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Now that's intriguing - is that one on the far left an AMT '57 Ford with the front clip from an Edsel? How did you build it?

Yes, it is! It was pretty much an easy swap, if I recall. I just cut the front ends off both cars and glued the Edsel front on the 57 Ford. The seats had corduroy upholstery and the front ones swiveled. I thought it was a cool custom at the time (1967?)!

Sam

Most of my old childhood ones are gone or damaged badly...a few years ago just before Christmas i left to go to a doctor visit and came home to an open door which was locked when I left. Many boxes of them were taken a long with some of my dads oldies and promos...others were tossed,stepped on in their rush I guess?.... <_<

Disabled Modeler that really sucks to here that and to think they probably do not care about building them I am sure they were worried about how much they could get for them Man that sucks.................one way to look at the bright side thou is that they were gone before you got back and they did not harm you in anyway.

Edited by Darren B

Disabled Modeler that really sucks to here that and to think they probably do not care about building them I am sure they were worried about how much they could get for them Man that sucks.................one way to look at the bright side thou is that they were gone before you got back and they did not harm you in anyway.

Darren.... wish i would have been here they would have gotten a surprise from me... Worst thing is they are family items that cant be replaced for the most part...ones still here could be saved if I could find the needed parts and the list is huge.